Author Topic: Prayers for my dad needed  (Read 14037 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Prayers for my dad needed
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 05:37:42 am »
Right now some one he knows needs to be there just about daily ... when in hospital he would try to leave the room to find people he knew ... this with IVs and heart monitor and oxygen all hooked to wall ... hoping since he has a bedroom , bathroom and little sitting room not just hospital type nursing home room , we can bring some of his things from home to make him comfortable and he will make some friends among the patients and settle in ... then there will be less need for someone to go by daily
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:05 am »
......we can bring some of his things from home to make him comfortable and he will make some friends among the patients and settle in

exceptionally important and most helpful.  That will definately help and given time... he will :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 01:24:11 pm »
Soundy ~

Like many, I've followed this thread.  It's obvious that you've been going through the wrenching but all-too-common experience of an adult child with an ailing parent requiring constant care that you are not physically able to provide.  The situation you've described is definitely stressful, to be polite about it, but things seem to be coming to an acceptable finale.  For that, I know you're both relieved and grateful.  Many prayers will continue for your dad, you and your family as you grapple with this challenging set of circumstances that involve emotional as well as physical obstacles for all concerned.  You appear to be on the right track and of course, whatever solace these messages of support can offer, we're happy to give.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:37 am »
saw Dad yesterday ...

health wise he is doing well

mentally he is not always sure where he is or what time period he is in ... Alzheimer's testing comes back negative and they are not sure why his metal state is as it is ... he called police to report my step mom missing and they have been divorce for a long time ... the day before he was in right time period and knew what was going on ... but he is safe and that is the main thing

thanks for continued support
Translab July 2 ,2007

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:36 am »
Soundy,
I am so glad to hear that your Dad is doing better health wise.  Be thankful the results are negative for Alzheimer's.  I would think form the sounds of it and from many classes in psychology, and I don't pretend to be an expert, but it sounds like your Dad may be severely depressed.  Depression acts in strange ways and a lot of times mimics dementia.  There are also many forms of dementia.  Don't give up, ask a lot of questions and ask for him to have a visit with a geriatric counselor, don't settle for one who doesn't specialize in older folks.  Even a geriatric social worker can help.  Good luck and sending many prayers your way.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Keri

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
hi soundy,
i have just read through this thread as well... getting caught up. i'm glad things are going a bit better, but i'm sure it's still really difficult. i'll be praying for you and your family too.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 10:16:36 pm »
last week my Dad  moved in with an aunt and cousin near Birmingham ... the aunt runs a nursing home ... my uncle is recently retired from NOAA weather position and is going to watch him daily ... both of them will care for him when she is off ... feel helpless and sad that I couldn't do more ...physically I couldn't keep care of him and know it ...even with negative Altstimers most of us think that he has it ... his personality began to change and he was having some violent outbursts ...medication helped solve this but having been around altstimers patients and watching how things progressed with him I am not sure about the tests ...

going to go down in a couple weeks after giving him time to settle in and adjust ... so far he seems to be doing well ... the day before the move I went and spent the day with him ... the girls wanted to go but he had been out of it and mean for a few days even trying to hit nurses with his walking stick ...I didn't want them to remember him like that so didn't take them  ... but he was great all day ... in right time period and doing good physically  ... when I left he was playing music in community room for the other patients ... hope when we go it is a good day for him ...

keep him , my aunt and uncle in your prayers ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 08:44:34 am »
Soundy .....

Thanks for the update.  It sounds like he is in the right place now, with good care.  It is always hard at holiday time when people you love are hurting.

Many thoughts and prayers.
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:02 am »
Soundy,
Glad that you had a good day with your dad. Just being there and spending that time means a lot, and he is in good hands.
Continued prayers for all of you, especially during the holidays coming up.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Soundy

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 10:08:41 am »
he had a good weekend and is doing well so far ... aunt is 16 years older than me but in better health ... she also has the training that my brother and I lack ... still kinda upsetting situation ...he will probably go into the facility she works for if and when he can't be kept at home ...

there is so much going on behind the scenes with him  that I can't really discuss here but really appreciate the thought and prayers sent his way ...

I used to tell him and my mom both that I was never going to marry when I grew up ... I was going to have a set of twins and then take care of them when they got old ... married twice , 6 kids with a set of twins in there ... help out mom alot and dad as I can ... funny the memories that come up and smack you in the face ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

suboo73

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 05:06:24 am »
Soundy,

Have been reading/following this thread and my heart goes out to you...you have been through a lot these last few months, and as we all know, there is no rule book on handling such situations.
I believe that you are doing everything you can, while considering your family and your own needs.
----------------------------------
My husband is an only child and we had to work through some of the difficult decisions while raising children...
We offered to have my mother-in-law and her sister live with us, as they grew older - but they wanted to stay in their home town 4 1/2 - 5 hours from where I live.
So we did the best we could at the time, and suffice it to say, I wish I could have done more.
----------------------------------
And recently, for my dad, the same thing, living the same distance away from me.
Fortunately, my mom is in excellent health and could visit when my dad was in the nursing home.
He could be cared for and they had people who could help him with daily needs that my mom could not.
---------------------------------
I am SO GLAD to hear that your dad is feeling better and has a safe place to stay.
I will say prayers for you, your aunt and your cousin, as you continue this journey.

As other have said, we are here for you. 

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Soundy

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 01:41:43 pm »
things have spiraled down hill ...

my brother had to go pick Daddy up over weekend ... he was trying his best to get back home and they feared he would get away and get lost ...
with cold temps we have been having that could spell a death sentence ...
my younger brother and daddy have been staying in a hotel for past few days ... he can get to see familiar faces and we are in hopes of getting
him back into facility he was in ... issues with his military retirement and SS checks are keeping him out ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

suboo73

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 05:28:54 am »
Oh Soundy,

My prayers are with you and your brother as you try to resolve housing issues for your dad.
Your dad needs to be in a safe environment, where family can visit.

It really makes me mad that issues with retirement and SS can make this so difficult.

More prayers all around during this time.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Continued W & W

Soundy

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 10:53:05 am »
Daddy has moved into the house with my youngest brother and the guy he shares the place with ... so far so good ...

as far as his money , it is not the people sending it that have messed up ... evil ex-stepmother was having it transfered to
her account and he was only getting about $240 a month ... lawyer has got that stopped and now waiting on paper work to go through
so he can go back to facility ...

but right now my brother who has rarely seen or talked to my dad in the past 15 years or so is having a ball taking care of him and
just getting to know him again ... hope things get settled more permanently for Daddy but for now things are OK

but past few weeks have showed us that is subject to change daily ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

suboo73

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 02:02:25 pm »
Soundy,

So good to read the update about you, your brother, and your dad!
It is wonderful that your brother can assist with his care and can reacquaint himself with dad.

I am sorry a lawyer had to get involved to straighten out the money...but something had to be done.

Continued prayers for your dad, you, your brother and your extended family.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Continued W & W