Author Topic: Prayers for my dad needed  (Read 14036 times)

moe

Re: Prayers for my dad needed
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:10 pm »
Soundy,
What a ride you've been through with your dad, and he is another walking miracle story.

The thing about the lung cancer is interesting too. Where did it go?

Hopefully he will survive this round of illnesses, and you and he can make peace. Is his appendix still there and inflamed?

Hope to hear good news. Plz rest when you can  :)
Prayers,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:29 pm »
Geez you poor thing, hopefully things went well with the surgery.
Hang in there, sounds like he's doing better.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:02:37 pm »
e came through OK and they even let him have a liquid meal this evening ...

you know with them repairing heart valve I forgot about the appendix ... I would hope while under they took care of it too ...

what can I say ... I am easily distracted and the squirrels provided distraction ...and the half grown feral cats under tree waiting in
hopes that a squirrel would fall made it even more interesting ... going to go to Nashville if I can get someone to get the girls ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:40 pm »
I was so tired and just out of it when I was taking care of my morning school duties that when I got ready to leave a friend asked me if I was OK to drive (it is about an hour and a half one way)... went through some tests similar to drunk test police use at side of road and decide I was not drive safe ... talked to brother who was on the way to sit with him and told him I would take tomorrows shift ... figured not becoming a patient was a good gaol for the day ...husband got up sick at about 1:45 this morning and I have been up ever since ... have found things to do so I wouldn't sit or lay down to nap ...figured no nap would guarantee sleeping more through the night ...

he was doing OK today and tomorrow according to nurse he is suppose to have another procedure ... not sure what and she didn't elaborate ... guess I will find out in the morning
Translab July 2 ,2007

iluuvpups

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »
Glad you decided to take care of yourself.  That's most important!  Hope things go well with your visit tomorrow.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Soundy

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »
Last Thursday's visit was really good ... even when he was talking to me thinking I was his younger sister and he was telling me a story that started out remember when we  ? I didn't and didn't catch on that he thought I was my aunt until he aid "then Velma went and got momma and daddy " ... Velma being his older sister

this morning they took him in to do more valve work ... he was in for around 5 hours ... brother got a call last night that one of us needed to be there at 6 this morning ... he went as I had my 19 month old grandbaby ...

they have him on a heart bypass machine to let valve rest and heal a bit but my brother said he came through it well ...

I am worn out and have not gone to sit with him as much as my brother has because I have the kids to juggle ... he is like me ...running on empty ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:53 pm »
I have been trying to read and catch up on emails and send up dates to family members that I am in charge of relaying stuff to and can't figure out what I was reading or saying so gave up ... will sleep and then take care of it in the morning

someone asked me today ... At this point what are you and your family praying for ???

I really don't know ...

tomorrow is Daddy's birthday ... I think I am praying for him not to die on his birthday ... last week he told me he had to live until at least the 16th then he could go join Roy Acuff and make music ( they share a birthday and daddy made him a courting dulcimer about 30 years ago) I think Acuff died about 10 years ago ...maybe a little longer ... met him a couple time when Daddy was in Nashville selling dulcimers he had made at art and music festivals ... he was a very sweet man and humble ... have a mental picture of him sitting on a concrete parking stop across a parking space that was our booth at a festival ... he had on faded bib overalls and a plaid shirt ... have met a few that it was all about them but he was just a very nice man and was interested in the people scratching out a living on the fringes of Nashville's music industry ...

emotionally and physically drained ...going to bed before my mind drifts off without me
Translab July 2 ,2007

moe

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:54 pm »
Soundy,
Hang in there, I'm sure that the stress is soooo draining.

So hard not knowing what the future holds, or how long your dad has.

Prayers are with you,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 10:59:06 pm »
Soundy,

Such an emotional roller coaster ride for you and your family.  What will be, will be.  I lost both parents, Mom at 8 and Dad at 33.  I know the heaviness you are carrying in your heart. 

Please take care of yourself. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 04:02:11 am »
Soundy

I've been following along quietly, sending healing vibes in my own quiet way, but wanted you to know that I am sending the infamous hugglez to you to help you during this time..... you've been through so much and hoping the love and support of everyone here truly helps you feel stronger.....we're here for you.

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Soundy

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:10 am »
Love and support from all here has helped a great deal ... thanks

he is holding his own and they plan to take him off heart by pass this evening and if things go well get him in a room tomorrow...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »
holy shamoley !!!!

I just got off phone with my brother... around 4 he got a call from hospital asking where he was ... he said at work ...Daddy convinced a social worker that he could stay by himself and that his daughter Charlotte was going to stay every night with him and most days ...

he doesn't have a  daughter named Charlotte... he has a 72 year old sister named Charlotte that is in worse shape than he is and lives in Atlanta GA... Brother asked where the other social worker we had been working with was and she is off today ... this dingbat that was taking her place released him saying he seemed to be cohearant enough to her .... he was sitting in lobby waiting to be picked up ...

We were told this morning that he would be able to go home this weekend and we  were working on finding him a place to stay ... he is bound and determined to go home ... don't know what my brother is going to do with him tonight ...and he is going to throw a fit when his truck keys aren't returned ... he doesn't realize how bad he was and since when he is talking he sounds normal to others that don't know that what he is saying is from different time periods and that the names he is giving are not the people that are here around him ...the idiot social worker just cut him loose ...my brother is flipping out ...

I could put a tent in the back yard and get my son and grand baby who are currently living in my living room to sleep in it , put Sarah on the couch and put my dad in Sarah's room ... my brother has a spare room and no little kids to take care of but SIL works 4 1/2 days a week and like us they are out in the sticks and he would be alone most of the time ...

need new prayers that we figure out something that saves the sanity of us all and keeps him safe ... this is not the well thought out plan we were working on with the other social worker  >:(
Translab July 2 ,2007

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 05:37:00 pm »
Soundy

last year, ran into the same thing with my dad and unfortunately, had certain realities hit the family that we had decisions we had to make. My inbox is open for discussion if you want......  know that I'm sending hugglez.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Soundy

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:09 pm »
a prayer was answered ... Daddy was accepted into an assisted living home ... he will be safe and we are working out a schedule so that someone sees him daily if at all possible ...oldest brother works about 5 miles away from home and will stop in on way home each day and take weekends since he is closer ... I will pop in a couple days a week to visit ...older sister who doesn't drive is going to try to hitch rides in with neighbors when they have to come to town ...get dropped off and they will pick her up on their way home ...he just doesn't do well alone ...he has always been a people person and needs to see people ... also with him back in the town he lives in his friends and people from church can visit ...that will help

things look like they are falling in place ... he is doing well medically and is safe and we are not all going to be worn out making sure he is cared for 

thanks for all the kind words ... they have meant more than I can tell you ... we are not out of the woods all together but see light
Translab July 2 ,2007

Goldie

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »
Soundy, just read your whole thread and can only imagine what you're going through.  I just wanted to add my two cents about assisted living.  My mother has been in such a facility since a stroke three years ago and once you feel more comfortable with the care he is receiving there, you probably won't feel that he needs one of you there every day.  It's hard to let go, but in most cases they really do receive excellent care and many become friends with other residents.  I have only one sister who lives several hours away, so basically I am the sole visitor.  I still visit my mom at least three times a week, but I also have realized how important it is for me to take care of myself, partly so I can be there for her.  You need to do the same!  How wonderful that you reached some kind of peace with your father, so much better for you both, even if he may not always know who you are now.

Hang in there!  You have much support here.  Please continue to keep us posted.

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.