Author Topic: Maybe this will set the reacord straight on Cell phones.  (Read 2750 times)

robynabc

Maybe this will set the reacord straight on Cell phones.
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:05:44 am »
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/01/100106-cell-phones-alzheimers-disease-mice.html

I think that they are just trying to start up trouble all the time.  First cell phones cause tumors (even thought AN's have been around for hundreds of years before the invention of cell phones)  and now they help your brain.  Just shows that you can't believe everything you read.  Haven't been here for a while but when I read this I knew I had to come in and say hi.

Hope you guys are all doing well.  

Robyn
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:15:45 am by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Maybe this will set the reacord straight on Cell phones.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:46:34 am »
Interesting article!  You know, in today's world of Google, etc. I am a firm believer that research can be found to support just about anything we want to believe.  That's why at my tender age I still maintain a moderation in everything approach.  I still believe that having a cell phone attached to one's head (particularly the very young) constantly cannot be a good thing.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:16 am »
I saw this too. As with many things in life, it is a balancing act. Brain tumor or Alzheimers, take your pick. There is probably an up side to working in a fish hatchery, too. :)

Hi Robyn, and hi to Eric as well. Hope he is getting along okay.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

opp2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:27 am »
I'm going to stick to the cell phones don't cause tumours idea. I was at the radiation center for my consult and the doctor told me there as another officer from my force in the next room with a smaller an than mine. We both said at the same time...'it's the radar!'

Most radar units when I came on the job had the antenna(transmitter) that sat on a hook, mounted on the drivers side window, right next to your head. Of course if that were the cause, then there would be hundreds of cops with left sided AN and deafness.

Who really knows???
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

TP

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:36:02 pm »
I head that on the news this morning too.  However, I also heard a couple of months ago that caffine is good to prevent Alzheimers so I drink lots of caffine. I only put a phone up to my ear only if necessary. I work out of my house and talk on conference calls all day, I only use a speaker phone, I refuse to put anything to my head unless absolutely necessary. My parents smoked for years and years and did not get lung cancer but smoking as we know causes cancer, why didn't my parents get cancer. My husbands mom never smoked and she died of lung cancer. I think common sense is the best medicine and if you feel something is good or not good for you, you get to make that decision. The great thing about living in our country we can make our own decisions on what we think is best for us.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »
Robyn ~

Thanks for the heads-up on the latest cell phone-related 'study'. 

Most readers of these forums know that I've long been a scoffer of the 'cell phones cause ANs' theory. I still am.  This latest - positive - 'finding' is interesting and once again shows the dichotomy inherent in many scientific studies.  Because I'm old enough to have seen many of these highly referenced 'scientific' studies proven wrong or at least their conclusions abandoned as time went on, I no longer put much faith in lab tests with mice and/or monkeys as subjects.  This certainly would include negative or positive consequences of cell phone use in human beings. 

I concur with 'TP' that while information is certainly useful, as adults living in a free society, we get to make our own choices.  So far, anyway.  I really don't care what other people do with their cell phones.  I use mine infrequently but if I had to use it more often, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  That's my decision to make and if it's harmful to me, which I very much doubt, I'll suffer any consequences....no one else (excluding family members, of course).  Obviously, no sane person wants to do things that are harmful to their health - and that certainly includes me.  As individuals, we take what information is available and do with it what we chose.  Some of us chose to avoid any electronic device being close to our heads while others never give it a thought.  Some avoid caffeine as if it were poison and believe they're doing something beneficial for their well being.  Others (like me) drink lots of coffee every day of our lives and never give it a thought because it has no discernible negative effect on us, even after consuming it in copious amounts for over 50 years.  Thus the ancient Latin phrase "to each his own" is apt in this instance. 

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »
Robyn -

thanks for the link.  Very interesting.  I personally will be shocked if the day ever comes when they link ANs to cell phones, as I am confident I had my AN long before I ever got a cell phone.

BTW, love the new picture  ;D

Hope you and Eric are both doing well.

Stop by more often,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:30 pm »
I head that on the news this morning too.  However, I also heard a couple of months ago that caffine is good to prevent Alzheimers so I drink lots of caffine. I only put a phone up to my ear only if necessary. I work out of my house and talk on conference calls all day, I only use a speaker phone, I refuse to put anything to my head unless absolutely necessary. My parents smoked for years and years and did not get lung cancer but smoking as we know causes cancer, why didn't my parents get cancer. My husbands mom never smoked and she died of lung cancer. I think common sense is the best medicine and if you feel something is good or not good for you, you get to make that decision. The great thing about living in our country we can make our own decisions on what we think is best for us.

I definitely agree with your statement remember when coffee was bad for you !!
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:37:36 pm »
Robyn

Thanks for the interesting article!  I also have to say that I'm pretty certain my AN was not due to cellphone use and was more than likely growing long before I every owned one.  I would be very surprised to see the two definitively linked.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!