Author Topic: Odd finding on recent MRI & CT scan -Encephalocele(Right) & AN re-growth (left)  (Read 2309 times)

suz

Hello friends,
I have not been on this cite for a long time because I have been doing well. So I guess I am the opposite of a fair-weather friend! It has been four years since my surgery; there was a small piece of the tumor left behind which has been stable. All has been peachy. But after a flight recently I noticed hearing loss in my "good" ear and luckily had my annual check up with my neurologist soon after. He was concerned about the hearing loss and ordered a CT scan, thinking that it was fluid in the ear. As it turned out, the change in hearing on the right side was due to an encephalocele, which is an out pouching of CSF and brain matter from the middle ear(I think) towards the middle fossa. This finding led to another MRI which found "possible growth" of the AN in addition to confirming the encephalocele. I have never been given such vague info about the AN, but more disturbing is the encephalocele which seems to be a very rare finding.
I received really unclear info from the doctor. He suggested doing nothing; consider options for the AN; smugly said I was "complicated" due to the hearing loss on the left (I wear a hearing aid) making it hard to decide what to do about the right side. Being "complicated" is really why I needed his advice, and I do not feel that I got it. But that is another issue! Also not feeling confident about his expertise in this rare finding that seems more neurology not ENT. 
So I am just putting this out there to the community - any else have this diagnosis and what did you do about it?
I am just so frustrated and scared. Who on earth will have expertise in these two rare diagnosis occurring in one patient?
Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Hi Suz .....

So sorry to hear about this complication!  Have you sent a copy of your most recent MRI to either Dr. Friedman or Dr. schwartz?  Since they have your surgical record and I presume have been following your post-op MRIs, it would be good to have their input.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cpchri1

I agree with Clarice's recommendation.  Here is a link that can help you Suz to initiate a free consultation and where to send records:

http://www.houseearclinic.com/consultation/acousticneuroma
.7 x .6 x .5 cm left middle fossa approach 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side before 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side after 2/26/14
No evidence of malignancy
Bell's Palsy left side 15 years before 2014

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Suz .....

I presume you know that Dr. Friedman is now at USC.  See:  http://www.keckmedicine.org/rick-a-friedman-md-phd/

Dr. Schwartz is still at House.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011