Author Topic: Six months since surgery......  (Read 1947 times)

susierg

Six months since surgery......
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:59:27 pm »
So, Thursday will be 6 months since my surgery.  I'm still having wonky head and balance issues, but I do feel like I'm making improvements....slowly, but progress is progress.  I have been seeing an acupuncturist for the last 5 weeks and I contribute alot of my improvements to him.  He is also a certified physical therapist, so he is combining acupuncture with therapy.  I have even started to hear little things in my deaf ear.  Nothing substantial.....but little things, like I was cleaning my deaf ear with a cue tip and for the first time since surgery, I could hear a little something, also when I scratch the inside of my hear I can hear it.  It's not all the time but just every now and then.  I have had BAHA surgery and waiting for my processor in March. 
I am not a patient person, but have finally accepted that is just gonna take time.  My family and friends, although supportive, just don't understand.  I think alot of times they think I'm just using my wonky head to get out of doing things.  If they only knew,..... I would love to be able to do the things I used to do!  Going to a resteraunt is still amost painful...as the noise drives me crazy, but try to just grin and bear it.  I can honestly say though, that I'm getting better....still not where I want to be, but better.  My acupuncturist has decided that I only need to see him once a week now (was going twice/week) with practice at home.  The exercises he has me do are completely different from the vestibular therapy I had right after surgery.  I think there is a lot to be said for Eastern medicine. 
As much as I hated hearing it "just have patience" is the key.
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Six months since surgery......
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:48 pm »
Susierg ~

Thanks for that six-month update. 

Yes, full AN surgery recovery is often measured in months, not weeks (or days) and anyone who hasn't experienced an acoustic neuroma can never really understand the recovery process.  Most think that, like a surgically removed appendix, once the tumor is out, you should bounce right back and have no further issues related to it.  How wrong they are!

However, we understand and wish you continued healing - and all the patience you need.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

millie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:48:56 pm »
Hanging in there with you, Susie!  Time and patience.  One day at a time.  "It will get better."
Hugs to all.

ghenier27

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:29 pm »
Maybe you should read my post that I just did on  my 3rd year. I had results in weeks, not months like most folks on here. I had a large AN and had surgery to remove it in October 2009. I was driving in a week and half, walking our dogs for blocks, and doing the food shopping in those electric carts. I was lifting my disabled daughter who weights 130 into bed. I made up my mind that I was going to get back to normal as fast as I could. Yes, I did take a few naps now and then. I worked hard everyday and pushed myself. In the end, the only thing I don't do is walk in high heels. I don't even think about my surgery anymore and feel very blessed that I did this all on my own without any outside help. I will also want to say, is when I left the hosptial-I couldn't even walk to the restroom. Take care and think positive about the things you can do