Author Topic: 8 weeks post op - returning to work  (Read 2362 times)

susierg

8 weeks post op - returning to work
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:03 pm »
Tomorrow I return to work after 8 weeks of recovery.  I'm a little nervous, but think I'm ready.  I know I'm ready to get outta this house!  A person can only watch talk shows for so long.... LOL   My PT released me on Friday with the promise to keep up my exercises.  My balance has improved greatly, but still walk like I've had a few.  Driving is OK....somewhat of a challenge turning my head, but I just take it slow and hope the people behind me don't get upset.  I'm starting out with reduced hours, 4 - 5 hopefully and then will increase as my stamina does.  Thankfully my Manager has agreed and also allowing me to park close to my building as our employee lot is a football feild away.  I have informed them that my hearing is gone in my right ear and axious to see how that's gonna affect me.  Will get back to ya'll later with more details...Wish me luck!
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 8 weeks post op - returning to work
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:25 pm »
Susie ~

Sounds like a plan!  Much luck on Monday. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:39:28 am »
Susie,

I hope your first day back to work is going well so far.  I should have started back part-time last week.  I will be at 8 weeks on Wednesday.  Is your balance affected because of your head feeling wonky?  My head is wonky all the time, but I'm able to balance my walk very well with only a few mis-steps here and there.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:21 am »
Hi Susie,

I did the same thing, I gradually got myself back to full bore.  But I couldn't get back for 4 months, I suffered greatly post op.  I hope all goes well, and congratulations on this next stage of your recovery.

susierg

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:15:02 pm »
1st day was tougher than I thought.  I made it a little over 5 hours.  The 1st couple of hours was spent talking to co-workers about my surgery, showing off my scar, etc.  My balance wasnt too much of an issue as I have a desk job and the girls in my office were very accomodating as far as getting things for me so I didnt have to get up.  When I got home, I laid down and was out for 3 hours.  Today was day 2 and I made it again a little over 5 hours.  Still exhausted when I get home, but gonna continue to try and push it a little longer each day.  My co-workers tell me they can tell when I need to go home....that it shows on my face how tired I am.
Anyway, it was good to get back and do something constructive.  I'm lucky that my Managers are letting me work reduced hours for as long as I need to.  Thanks for the well wishes!
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.