Author Topic: Return of hearing...is it gradual or sudden?  (Read 4066 times)

susierg

Return of hearing...is it gradual or sudden?
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »
OK....it's me again.  I am now 3 weeks post op and my hearing is still gone in my AN ear.  The Docs have tole me they are optimistic that my hearing will return, but was wondering if anyone has been in this situation.  And if so, did your hearing come back gradually or sudden?  I have had a feeling of fullness, more like clogged pressure ever since the surgery.  Some days are worse than others.  Today, I plugged my left ear and tried snapping in my right ear....could slightly hear the snapping,...I thnk.  After laying down for a while, I tried again and nothing.  I was hoping this was a good sign, but I guess could just be wishful thinking.  Just wondering what to expect when and if my hearing does return. 
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Return of hearing...is it gradual or sudden?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:45:30 am »
Hi, I hope your hearing comes back that is good you heard some snapping I am not that good with remembering or understanding my hearing loss I know I always forget the frequencies but know mine is worse outdoors I can hear some but I feel not really usable hearing and they tell me a hearing aid won't work but yet they say I have some hearing and do not hear the snapping like you said ...  I feel if it is not usable so what good is it don't want to sound ungrateful for the little I have but I would rather have the tumor completely removed and no hearing at all. I just wanted to ask you have you tried listening on the telephone and if so how much did you hear?? Hoping in time you will have more hearing.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

susierg

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:01:33 am »
OK...tried that experiment....Could not hear from my AN ear, but could hear it in my other ear ???  I am so grateful that my tumor is gone and hearing is not that great a loss as I can still hear from my left ear.  Just had such high hopes that my hearing would be preserved and it was excellent (no loss at all) before surgery.  Not meaning to sound ungrateful at all....just not yet ready to give up hope.  Keep hoping that one day I will just be sitting here and there will be a "pop" and my hearng will return.  That is why I was wondering is it returns like that or if it is a llittle at a time.  I know its a question that I should be asking my ENT Surgeon, andd will.   Just thought I would see if anyone else had had their hearing return.
Thanks for your input.
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:35 pm »
I actually could hear pretty well right out of surgery, but as time went on it diminished to where I now have 40% word discrimination.  I do hope yours will return in some form.  Let us know how it goes, ok? Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston