Author Topic: It is all relative  (Read 13586 times)

kmr1969

Re: It is all relative
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »
Congrats on the championship.  I'm sure you are both ecstatic.  My boys both played on their middle school soccer team  this year and I tried to make every game.  Rooting so hard for something good to happen for them so that we could all just be happy.

Sounds like you are going to have a couple of weeks in Jan and Feb where you can start game planning for the defense of your title next year.

Sounds like you are doing well which is great to hear. 

Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy watching the big boys play on Thursday.

ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

nftwoed

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »
Surgery - January 23rd.

Hi Brandon;

Yes. How large is the AN and what are your symptoms and age? Is it the 5 cm?

BRS89

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 12:23:50 am »
Surgery - January 23rd.

Hi Brandon;

Yes. How large is the AN and what are your symptoms and age? Is it the 5 cm?

The AN is 2.5cm - the symptoms are considerable one sided tinnitus, some facial tingling, 60% hearing loss on bad side, and some strange things such as mental clarity, remembering a word for something, a bit short term memory lapses, all of which have concerned me as I have a job that requires those things every moment.

I am 44.

I have also been diagnosed recently with an ascending aortic aneurysm that is 4.5cm that will require constant vigilance.

So, with 2 strikes against me, I will go into surgery on January 23rd at 5:30am and hopefully get one challenging event behind me as many of the good people here have done.

nftwoed

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 02:40:30 pm »
Hi Brandon;

Did you ever consider GK radiation for the AN to avoid surgical trauma? I'm sure by now you've been through MRIs and consults, with a lot of thought/research of you own, however.
  The mental clarity and short term memory loss ( dropping a thought or word ) seems likely related to vestibular function. Some report feeling better almost immediately after radiation Tx.
  Retaining that bit of hearing seems tenuous at best. Zero, if you have Translab. Would say, however, Translab provides the best facial nerve view of the 3 standard surgical approaches.
  Best wishes in all. You have a challenging road ahead!

BRS89

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »
Closer and closer.

BRS89

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »
Quick question to those in the know.

Is a Transcondylar (far lateral) approach to posterior cranial fossa - a translab or does it mean something else. Just got my insurance approval from Blue Cross and they reference this. I was told by my doctor I was getting a retrosigmoid approach. I have a call in, but was just checking.

kmr1969

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »
Try and stay busy this week.  I took off the week before surgery and took care of all of the leaves in my yard plus a lot of little projects that I had been putting off and knew would drive me crazy if they weren't done and I was sitting around the house unable to do them during the recovery phase.  Plus I did some fun things: took the boys out for pizza, got a massage, and saw the James Bond Skyfall movie with the family.

In 1 week you will be doing it and in 2 weeks you will be at home being taken care of by your family.

Stay positive and you will be fine.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

BRS89

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:51:04 pm »
Ok, barring any last minute stoppages, I am now where many of you were at some distant point in the past.

5am tomorrow, thanks for all the help, especially Ken for the emails.

PamJ

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:47 pm »
Good luck for tomorrow xx
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

millie

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »
Praying for you.  It will get better.  Mil

BRS89

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:36 am »
Done. Healing needed next. Thanks. update experiences when brain works again.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 08:15:49 am »
Brandon .....

So good to read your post and apparently all went as planned.  Rest and listen to your body.

Continuing prayers for a quick and uneventful recovery!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:23 am »
You have arrived on the other side!  May you feel supported on your healing journey.  I'll be interested to hear the details. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

BRS89

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »
H had a doozy. Tumor wrapped around my facial nerve, touching my brain stem, and optic nerve. Lasted 8 hours, but the stud has my face symmetrical - no weakness. He left 5% to monitor the facial nerve that we will watch. I came home last night. Eyes can't focus and feeling wonki-headed, pain in incision, but I am scooting round to gain strength when I can. I feel inarticulate trying to write this, but wanted to say thanks for the Good Works you do. There was no other place to go help me understand what was ahead. Thank you all. I hugged my 6 yr old son today. No better feeling on planet earth.

It is what it is

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »
Wow!  You had some additional complexities.  I'm glad to hear you are home hugging your child.  We are here and I really want to hear updates if you want to share.  Continued healing and caring thoughts coming your way.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.