Author Topic: feedback on titanium mesh  (Read 13881 times)

Heidi in Omaha

feedback on titanium mesh
« on: August 13, 2011, 01:54:53 pm »
I am looking to hear some reports from anyone who has had titanium mesh used in their surgeries. I've been reading some posts and am getting nervous about reports of headaches that effect "quality of life" and also the possibility of infection. My surgery is coming up in the middle of September, so I welcome any feedback that will either put my mind at ease or if this is something I need to reevaluate. Thanks!

texsooner

Re: feedback on titanium mesh
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:22:12 pm »
I have titanium mesh from my retrosig surgery 3 years ago and suffer no headaches, have a high quality of life and never had any infection.

Good luck to you.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 02:37:32 pm »
Heidi ~

Although some AN surgery patients have encountered problems (headaches) resulting from the use of the titanium mesh to close their skull, post-surgery, the majority do not.  Like Patrick, I received the titanium mesh and never had a headache or any other problem (e.g. infection) associated with it.  I suggest that you talk to your surgeon about this.  Express your concerns and ask him what he proposes to do to alleviate any complications from using the titanium mesh.  A responsible doctor will be happy to respond and assure you.  Meanwhile, I wouldn't worry too much about this issue as the chances of a problem with using titanium mesh, while real, are quite small.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »
I've had the titanium mesh in my head for almost 6 years now and do not have any problems with headaches.
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:41 pm »
I have titanium mesh in my skull from both of my AN surgeries ..... first one retrosigmoid 3 1/2 years ago, second one translab 3 months ago ..... no headaches with either one.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Heidi in Omaha

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »
Thank you, everyone! Breathing a few sighs of relief. I just need to keep reminding myself I am in good hands!

sarahinPA

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:09:52 am »
Hi Heidi,
I am 15 days post translab surgery, I have titanium mesh in my head, and I have no problems as of yet! stopped taking any pain meds or tylenol 3 days ago!  My situation was a little different as I did develop a blood clot and pnemonia after surgery and had to be readmitted to the hospital for 5 days after surgery discharge..but as for my head and the incision, all is well!

FYI, the mesh does give you a slight indentation where they replace it, not noticable by eye, but you can feel a difference.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:13:20 am »
I have titanium mesh from my retrosig surgery 3 years ago and suffer no headaches, have a high quality of life and never had any infection.

Good luck to you.

Patrick

My story is exactly the same as Patrick's - except that my surgery was 4 years ago.

I should also note that I have a BAHA implant; titanium also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:15:12 pm »
I have it in my surgery site and BAHA also, but I also have a titanium implant in my heart. I had a PFO, a hole in my heart between the left and right side, and a titanium mesh was used to plug up the hole. NO headaches or heart aches.

tweety

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:32:57 am »
Hi Heidi,  I have titanium mesh in my skull from middle fossa surgery June 8, 2010.  I have no headaches or pain at the site. It feels weird when I touch my head at the incision line but no pain at all. I was concerned as I am allergic to metals and cheap jewelry so Dr. Chen got me a piece of the mesh to wear on my arm for 3 weeks prior to surgery to see if I would have any local reaction.  I had none so they used the mesh they covered it and the screws with muscle so I can't feel them when I touch my head.  Nancy  (Tweety)

FlyersFan68

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:18 am »
Some surgeons use it and some don't. I had retrosigmoid surgery and don't have titanium mesh (cranioplasty). I don't have headaches. But I didn't have them before the surgery either. If you are prone to headaches now before surgery speak with your surgeon about this and stress the importance of removing all bone dust and other things that "might" contribute.

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »
This might be useful to see.   I will be going there soon to see if they can relieve me from the mesh woes:

p://abcnews.go.com/Health/denver-woman-allergic-hip-implant/story?id=19177949
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

neetze1

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »
No problems here either!  Had translab in March.  No problems with it.
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan

Mei Mei

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:48 pm »
Had my interview over the phone to get an appointment at the Denver National Jewish Allergy and asthma.    Will get the blood test to determine the allergy mesh.    It is possible to do the surgery without the mesh as several of us here did not.   namely the Cannadians and Tod at vcu in Richmond.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 03:44:27 am »
Dear Heidi,
I've been posting on several threads about my trip to Denver for possible allergy to the Titanium mesh.  i 've been here in  Denver since Tuesday.   Started the testing on Wed morning Did some more testing yesterday and here is is at 3 a.m.Sat. morning and the small reaction on my arm is now much bigger.   On  Wed and Thursday nights I couldn't sleep because my soft palate (velum) was swollen (anaphylaxis) and I opened some Benedryl.    The doctor said that if we are going to see anything it is going to happen over the weekend.

I can't tell you how validated I feel right now here in Denver in the middle of the night having this reaction to the testing.  I've certainly come a long way, baby and can't wait to talk with the doctor on Monday afternoon.

On to see Dr. Tew on Wed afternoon.   Trip from here to Cincinnati will be grueling.  I arrive there around midnight Cincinnati time, check out of the airport in Kentucky and into my U Cinncinati guest house and then  at 8 a.m.  I see the speech pathologist at 8 a.m.  and the vocal cord doc on  Wed. morning....finally  see Dr. Tew at  2 pm.   Possibility that Kathy Maybriar might be in Cinn on Wed so I am all excited to see her....
Talk to you  guys  later.   Just wish the Acoustic Neuroma trip weren't so long.   I been travelling this road with you since 2009 but I feel I am getting close to the end.   You all have become my primary source of family support   Thank you!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo