Author Topic: This Week 5/23/10 in the AN World  (Read 3735 times)

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
This Week 5/23/10 in the AN World
« on: May 23, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »
Aecom’s (aecom) 1 yr MRI results, since CK treatment, showed “No appreciable change”.  Great news!

CF (CF) it was great to see you posting again (since January).  I’ve been keeping an eye open for your return to the forum.  We are glad you are not letting the “Wonky Head” win.  Hiking and biking can’t be easy, but we’re glad you’re up for the challenge.  I saw the Indo Board you-tube video.  Cool 8)

Tom (painter) had his 6 month MRI and follow-up.  Everything was clear.  Great news Tom!

Maureen’s (moe) 5/13 gracilis free flap surgery appears to have gone extremely well.  Congratulations!

Last week:

Jennifer (JennyMac) started CK treatments last week, and will have her last one Monday.

Tracy’s (Tracy Lynn) 5/18 translab surgery went very well.  We sorry that they had to leave a little of the AN behind.  However, they saved your facial nerve, and that’s super news.

Nancy (nanramone) had GK treatment on 5/18, and in her own words “I feel pretty darned good”.

Phyl (ppearl214) we were hoping that you would receive the best of news at your 4 yr. CK follow-up on 5/18.  Going by the post you made to Tisha, you noted that your “brain booger” as you so eloquently put it, shows no new growth, and had even shrunk.  That’s great news Phyl, you can’t get better than that :)

Kim’s (knakag01) 5/19 translab surgery was a success.  That is terrific news Nate.  Thank you so much for the update.

Sue’s (sues1953) daughter and Carol Ann (iluuvpups) have posted updates for Sue, thank you both very much.  Sue’s 5/20 tanslab surgery was also successful. 

Congratulations to CF, Tom, Maureen, Tracy, Kim and Sue our new and not so new Posties, and to Aecom, Jennifer, Nancy, and Phyl our new and not so new Toastie Posties on successful surgeries/treatments new and old.  We hope you all have great recoveries, and continue to have fantastic follow-up results.

This week:

Monday Jennifer (JennyMac) will complete her CK treatment.  Jennifer we hope your treatments are a complete success.

Tuesday Brian (Pooter) one of our esteemed Hero Members, will finally be going you his MRI.  Brian, your Mother’s not the only one that’s glad you made the appointment.

Wednesday Anne Marie (yardtick) another treasured Hero Member, has a Dr. appointment.  Ann Marie we hope your appointment goes well.  Will you be getting your 4/15/10 MRI results?

Thursday Ernie (EJTampa) yet another cherished Hero Member, will be having a celebration.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ernie

On Friday Carol Ann (iluuvpups) will be having translab surgery.  Carol Ann you will be in our thoughts and prayers Friday for a successful, and uncomplicated surgery, and recovery.

Smooth sailing to everyone still recovering.

Have a great week everyone,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: This Week 5/23/10 in the AN World
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:35:42 pm »
Thanks for the mention, Rich and Scarlett!  Hope everyone's treatments / appointments / birthdays / etc go well!

Quick update:  Had my MRI yesterday.  Picked up the CD and report from their office today.  Here's part of the report:

Interval surgical intervention with removal of previously seen right cebebellopontine angle enhancing mass which was most consistent with right vestibular schwannoma.  Minimal dural enhancement remains in the postoperative bed in the region of the right CP angle, however, no definitive evidence of residual or recurrent tumor is identified.  No abnormal enhancing masses are seen within the internal at three canals bilaterally.  Small resection cavity is noted.  There is a small amount of encephalomalacia and T2 bright residual edema involving the right cellebellar hemisphere.  No abnormal intra-axial enhancement.  Follow-up as felt clinically necessary.

I ain't no doctor by far, but this seems to me to be positive news.  I'll reserve final judgement until I hear it from the doctor.

Just for yucks, here's one of the images:

I now have visual confirmation that I, indeed, still have a brain.  But, according to the report not only am I a "fat head" (like many of you) but I'm also a softy (encephalomacia).  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
Hey, Brian ~

Like you, I'm not a doctor - but I think you're home free.  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »
Congratulations Pooter. Looks pretty darn good to me.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:35:21 am »
Thanks for the birthday wishes Rich!  Keep up the awesome work you do here in organizing the weekly happenings!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:30:01 pm »
Carol Ann's surgery was actually today.   Here is an update link I posted:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12604.0

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

moe

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:38:06 pm »
Thanks for the weekly news, Rich :)
Brian, translation on your MRI-----You're OK!

I'm off to get my facial sutures removed tomorrow. I must say moving around and going up and down stairs is causing more leg pain, the gracilis muscle (or what is left of it) is paying the price!

So glad all those surgeries were successful. Now it's time to heal slowly.......

Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 06:22:07 am »
Brian,
Well YEP, it's official....you do still have a brain!  That's GREAT news  ;D

When do you visit doctor or have phone conversation for follow up on the MRI?   Any idea what the red circle means?

Curious....(I know I've read many of your posts...but memory not working right now)...do you have pressure feeling in your head, or ear pains/pressure feeling, maybe zapping or tinnitus increase at times, ESPECIALLY when the weather changes?     I do and have been told by more than one doctor I still have some inflammation/edema in there and that is what is probably causing those issues.   My doctors have said it may take about a year for that do go away.   Hmmm, I notice you are more than a year out and still seem to have some edema.   Patience, I guess.     Just curious what or if doctor says anything about it.       

Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:07:53 am »
Thanks moe! :)

Denise, yes it is official although some might argue. ;)  I put the red circle on there to note where my tumor was before removed. That was for the benefit of others because I don't think I'll ever forget seeing the golf ball on my diagnosis MRI. So, I knew where it used to be. My dr follow up is on 6/15. So as expected I have to wait a few weeks to get any kind of dr impressions of the edema. I will say that looking at the scans from last year it seems to have decreased mildly. That's good in my book. The dr noted it last year and said he wanted to watch that area to be sure the edema didn't get larger or solidify in some way and start being a problem. I'm no dr, but it seems to be either stable or decreasing in size.

I don't get any symptoms like full ear, pain, etc that I can point to the edema as a probable cause but I'll certainly grill my dr about it when I see him. Weather changes cause my tinnitus to be louder sometimes, but not so bad it drives me nuts. Perhaps your edema is closer in proximity to nerves that potentially cause your symptoms? I'm heard from several sources (not the least is my dr at last year's follow up visit) that typically the do absorb over time and go away but it just takes a long time sometimes.

Regards,
Brian 
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 05:56:53 am »
Here is one we missed for surgery this week, possibly because it wasn't posted as a positve surgical date & not updated since beginning of April.     But Alexis posted this in regards to her husband Robert having surgery 5/26 Translab here in Michigan at U of M.    Please include their family in prayers & thoughts.   :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12612.msg145349#msg145349

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:22 am »
Congrats, Pooter!

My doc called a few days ago - and just as I suspected, my MRI was clean also.

He also mentioned that I still have a brain - so it sounds like you and I have lots in common  ;)  :D

Jan (your fellow fat-head)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways