Author Topic: Hearing with 1 ear...a pain in the...  (Read 6340 times)

thecakes

Hearing with 1 ear...a pain in the...
« on: February 04, 2006, 01:21:36 pm »
   If anyone sits on the right of me its such a pain.  I have to switch around and sit very uncomfortably and just maybe I'll hear.  I try not to let this happen.  So many times I act like I hear but I don't.  I just smile and shake my head.  Good God, I hope I'm not agreeing to anything I should'nt be.  That could be desasterous.   Thecakes

lmurray69

Re: Hearing with 1 ear...a pain in the...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:45:28 pm »
[
That is the same problem I have but it helps if you set in the end seat that has your ear towards the others...and for gods sake becarefull to slightly ajust the hearing aide...They will blast you out when they see you have a aide in your ear good luck,, Is your tumor still there or did you have surgery if so how long was you in the hospital and surgery.. and icu time????/i am faceing surgery coming up...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

stein78

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:56:04 pm »
When I got out to eat with friends, we play musical chairs until I find the spot that works the best. :D  The worst is when I am on the phone at work, people try to come up and ask me quick questions.  How many times do I have to tell them, when the only ear I have that works is on the phone, I can't hear anything else!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 11:58:02 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

JDJ925

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 06:06:41 am »
My wife suggested that I might want to get a small earring for the deaf ear to remind her which one she shouldn't be talking into.

I was curious if there is any kind of standard emblem for an earring for those with a single deaf ear. Has anyone ever come across such a thing?

JD
JD
Translab surgery on 3/9/2006 removed 3.2cm AN right ear
Dr. Harry Van Loveren / Dr. Paul Boyev / Dr. John Susac
Tampa General Hospital

SKT

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 07:59:31 am »
No, don't think there is such a thing.  My experience is that most people generally don't think it's a big deal when u tell them u can't hear out of one ear. It's such hard work trying to get across to them that you really can't hear them properly.

Sanddollar

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 08:19:20 am »
lmurray69,

I just had surgery on Jan 25.  That was a Wed.  I was in ICU over that night into Thursday at around 3:00 p.m.  Went home midday Saturday.    I had a pretty cooperative tumor and about an 8-hour procedure, no real complications and my balance was pretty good post-op.  My hearing in the AN ear must have been pretty bad pre-op, as I did not notice a big difference afterward.  I feel that I have been blessed regarding my treatment & recovery.  Too soon for any one-sided hearing war stories, but I do still have to remind my spouse not to whisper things in the AN ear.

Please feel free to send me a personal message if you want more details. 

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 04:20:18 pm »
One sided hearing or "selective hearing can be useful at times, especially when my wife is telling me off. I am lookingh quite seriously at Baha or something else but am waiting for version 3 or 4.
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 05:35:07 pm »
I looked for an earring online.  I only found a lapel pin with an international "no entry" symbol in red.  I think it was on the H.E.A.R.Foundation site.  I thought about wearing a stud in my good ear, or a silly happy face earring in my "happy" ear for a while to help my family and friends to remember.

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:53:31 am »
  Imurray,  I had my operation Oct 02.  Everything is fine now but  I had many complications -1 month in ICU.   I have no hearing at all in my right ear and that can be more of a  libility than I thought.  Don't let my time in ICU scare you, everyone and every tumor is different.  Lots of luck, the cakes

comphibron

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 10:15:33 pm »
I'm a musician.Try playing with a band.I do alright,the trumpet section is usually so loud I can hear them with the right ear.Its my left I cant hear out of after the removal of the AN.My wife will seat on right so I can hear her.I have now started to use a small monitor to hear other parts of the band like the vocalist or the piano.I have also thought of the BAHA but would like to see it reduced in size.I keep my hair very short and I dont want that thing sticking out.

Katja

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 12:19:11 pm »
That is a real pain.... there! But think positive. You don't have to hear all the stupid things. You are driving car, kids are screaming behind.... you continue driving you just close your good ear with finger. Neighbours dog is shouting all night long, your spouse cannot sleep... you just put your good ear to the pillow and sweet dreams. In work if you did not do something... sorry I did not hear you... Life can be simple and funny in some cases.  Ok there are plenty of those bad ones also in noisy places... but... ;)
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

thecakes

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 03:38:28 pm »
  I had an early appointment with some maintanance guys that were suppose to look at our furnance.    They came from 35 miles away.  I slept through it.  I woke hours later and there was a message on my machine saying that they pound on the door, called me on the phone, came back and pound again and no answer.  I called when I woke up to say how sorry I was.  I can't believe that I could sleep through that.  I must of been sleeping on my good ear.  I can't believe I did'nt set the alarm for this, I totally forgot.  I do this alot. :'(

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 06:34:02 pm »
JD: The Canadian Acoustic Neuroma Association did sell an earing that says "out of order". Check out thier web site, I think the address is anac.ca. I don't know though if it's a "dangle" style earing that a man may not like to wear....how about a small tatoo? X on the lobe of the ear that works, "X marks the spot". Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 03:43:54 pm »
Cakes,

Don't worry about sleeping through the door pounding. I quite often sleep on my good ear and miss hearing my alarm to get up for work. It's a big club but very exclusive Cakes.

cheers

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

matti

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 04:56:30 pm »
Cakes - Good ear to the pillow and I sleep through rain, heavy winds, a snoring husband and a snoring dog, alarms, doorbells, ringing phones and loud kids.  ;D

Kathleen - I like the idea of the earring. I am definetly going to check it out Thanks!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50