Author Topic: Anyone mistaken for drunk yet?  (Read 7463 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Anyone mistaken for drunk yet?
« on: April 27, 2006, 01:53:02 pm »
  I was just imagining the scene when an AN’er  is stopped by the local constabulary for suspicion of drunkenness.  I can just hear the cop’s tone when being told a “storyâ€? about a brain tumor.  “Rightâ€?, he said, “Now just try to walk in a straight line.â€?  Has that happened to any of you yet?   :D
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Battyp

Re: Anyone mistaken for drunk yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 02:04:50 pm »
LOL, not me but I was told by my neurosurgeon to keep a copy of my reports in my glove box if I was stopped and I was sober :o)  Boppie son defended a woman with a vestibular problem against a drunk driving arrest.  I def. don't need that headache right now!   ;)

matti

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 02:27:09 pm »
I got a note from my surgeons explaining my vesitbular problems and I keep a copy in my car and purse. But then I always worry that I will get my license taken away due to medical issues  >:(

Also have one that explains my SSD just in case I am called for jury duty.

Matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 03:04:59 pm »
Yes,

Before my surgery I had been stopped at least three times for marked lanes or unsteady driving coming home from work. This was before I had even been officially diagnosed so even though I knew there was something wrong with me, I couldn't say I had a brain tumor.
    The first time the cops called me outside and to the rear of my van and asked me if I'd been drinking to which I resoundingly and truthfully replied, "No, I don't drink!!!" They were confused and a bit crestfallen because they thought for sure they had an DWI on their hands.
  The second and third times I was given "warnings" just to make it look good for their records.This was in a town where the cops act like carrion buzzards perched on a wire and anxiously wait to swoop down on their quarry, simply for lack of anything else to do. If I were to have told those guys that I had a medical problem I probably would have been busted nonetheless and forbidden to drive. Don't give those sadistic morons the benefit of holding anything against you if you can help it. Why? because all they really care about is earing brownie points
and leveraging themselves at your expense.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:07:59 pm »
I'm with you matti..I'm worried they'll pull my license.  but luckily for me I passed the hospital driving test which made me just as good as the"blue haired ladies", hospital words not mine!  Heck I scare myself sometimes  LOL

Never thought about jury duty as I'v eonly been called once. My sister seems to be the lucky one to always get called...I think she averages twice a year between federal court and local court  LOL

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 03:45:09 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When folks sees me, they ALWAYS assumes I's had too much grog.  Must be the pirate hat and cutlass and boots I wears around alla the time.  I gets some straaaaaaaange looks at th' Wal-Mart, believe you me!!!

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:03:37 pm »
O.K. folks, being pulled over by the cops I haven't yet but....picture this.....I'm a nurse, work nights, make rounds in the dark with a flashlight!!! Imagine how many of my patient's might of thought me drunk! I'm surprised one of the "new staff", who weren't around, haven't reported me as suspect drunk on duty. I suspect at least once one of my "older" peers who's in the know has been asked  by the "new gals".
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 01:39:26 am »
Dear B. P. Wench (love that ;D )

I received a jury duty summons a week after being released from the hospital - typical, as if on cue. First summons since 1987. I immediately
requested an excuse letter from my ENT surgeon which I received within a couple of days. My girlfriend then faxed this over to someone at the courthouse. I was excused from jury duty immediately and without question.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kilroy1976

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 06:51:59 am »
...luckily for me I passed the hospital driving test which made me just as good as the"blue haired ladies", hospital words not mine!

Great, that is EXACTLY what Florida needs. Another one on the road... :P
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 07:54:46 am »
I know Kilroy....couldnt' believe they said that and then gave me the go ahead to drive.  I'm good as long as I don't turn my head  ;)

Hmmmm....jury duty could be fun.  The only time I've ever been called the case attorney was someone I had dated (twice) so they excused me  LOL  Funny once I found out he was attn I lost interest..that and he couldn't bait his own fishing hook   ;D

thecakes

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 10:36:27 am »
   I'v noticed that when I drive, I really have to keep my eyes on the road and once I stray away, the car goes all over.  I can't handle heavy traffic and switching lanes at the same time.  Its just to much to think about.  I'm a good blue hair driver.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:49:46 am »
Mistaken for drunk? Only when I drink!  ::)

(not yet... so far, so good!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:51:07 am »
I've noticed the same thing! .. I'm good as long as I pay attention  8) .. my hands used to be able to keep the car on the road while I might look at street signs, stores, or whatever... , I find that I cant do that anymore.. its like I'm 16 again and forget how to drive! .. or at least my hands did!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kilroy1976

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:10 am »
"It's ok occifer, I drive BETTER after I've had a few dos XX-rays."
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Captain Deb