Author Topic: First Post Cyberknife MRI  (Read 9581 times)

okiesandy

First Post Cyberknife MRI
« on: April 06, 2006, 04:44:32 pm »
I had my 3 month follow up and MRI following my Cyberknife treatment started  on 1/5/06.
I requested a 3 month MRI because my AN was of the fast growing varity.

Results: Ta Dah, a drum roll if you please.................small amount of swelling and a dark line through the tumor that looks like possible death (of the tumor, not me), according to the radiation oncologist. He does not give measurements. He did show me how it is measured on the computer and ask me to try and get the same exact measurement if I could. I tried 3 different times and go three different measurements. He tried twice and got almost the same measurement. According to him my pretreatment MRI and CT are at a slightly different angle.. Impossible to get same angle everytime. We looked at all of the markers around the tumor and the shape and even I could see not much had changed. I zeroed in on the dark line and know it is death. OK, I know some doctors do not use the words death of the tumor, he does and I prefer it that way. R.I.P. Ivan the Terrible.

My balance is improving slightly. Tinnitus is not as loud for long periods of time. The only after effect I have is a numbness and sometimes slight pain on the side of my face. My tumor was very near the trigiminal nerve.

OK Phyl, you can buy those drinks for Dr. Medbery now. My next appointment is three months away.
Much luck with your CK, I wish you well.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

shoegirl

Re: First Post Cyberknife MRI
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:19:24 pm »
Sandy!

Wonderful News!  I hope "Ivan" is dying!  Glad to hear your balance is getting better! The tinnitus too.   Could the swelling be causing the slight pain on the side of your face?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:01:29 pm »
sandy,

you got me in tears! Oh, congrats, congrats and keeping fingers, eyes, legs (ok, forget that last one) and everything crossed I can for continued great news!  Oh, heck hun... not only am I buying him the drinks, but buying them for you too!

FAB news! The encouragement I need as I (tomorrow) complete my 5-day dose/treatment!  you rawk and give me the hope I need!  all of you do!!!!!!!! 

Suzanne, right there with you! :)
xoxoxox
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

shoegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 09:40:22 am »
Phyl,

I am so happy you are almost done!  Hope you are feeling well!  When will you have your first followup MRI?  Just curious some have them at 3 months some at 6 months?

It is good to see everyone sharing their experiences.  I really think it makes a difference for those in the decision process.

Lots of hugs!!   :-*
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005

jamie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:09:37 pm »
Awesome news! Glad to hear about the necrosis so early, that's a good sign. :)
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 08:57:40 am »
Not a lot of necrosis, it is kind of a fine line all the way through the middle of the longest part. I am trying not to get really excited about it. Dr. Medbery is cautious. Will wait for the next visit. I envision it dead in my mind every day.

We are pretty sure the swelling is causing the numbness and pain in my face. I don't have it every day and sometimes it is only for a few minutes. Little bugger is just very near the trigiminal nerve. So far there is not a lot of swelling that I can tell or that Dr. Medbery can tell.

Phyll, you can buy me all of the drinks you want. I have some catching up to do. The 6th was the anniversary of my first encounter with Ivan the Terrible. Breezed through it because my 3 month was the day before. Bet you are glad your treatments are behind you. You will focus on them for a few weeks and if all is going well after a month you will start to relax. I don't know if you will have a 3 month MRI or not. It is a little stressful a few days before that first MRI. So far I do not regret choosing this treatment and am very grateful that it was an option. Got'em all crossed for you. Even the legs if that would help ;)

Sandy

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 06:01:27 pm »
*peeks in*.... hey gang!

CK update posted on CK Support website (link:  http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?f=1&m=3928) which gives an update as of today.

Sandy, Dr Medbery is bummed he's not getting a pay-raise for those drinks but if I send along some $$ to you, can you help me out? He certainly has earned them for all he has done for you and me! :)

Suzanne, Jamie, Sandy, etc.... I couldn't have gotten through this without you all.... and for that... a VERY humbled thank you.  Truly!

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

SuzeAN

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:42:11 pm »
Great outlook Sandy and it sounds like "curtains for Ivan"!!
I had my first post MRI today and am anxiously awaiting the results.  Hopefully, mine will be
joining Ivan in the acoustic neuroma "afterworld". 

Cheers,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 08:58:21 pm »
Sue,

on your heels and please keep us updated!  Sounds like many here are recent AN "post" treatment status and all soaring together! 

Phyl

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »
oh why oh why is "DEATH TO IVAN" coming to mind?  is it a play?  a famous line somewhere?

I'm hoping it's just death to sandy's ivan! 

Congrats..here's hoping by the next MRI you can really see a difference and really be tossing some drinks around for good cheer! 

SuzeAN

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 08:52:58 pm »
OK just had my first MRI (6mos) Tues April 11, and my doctor just called me with the results....which are right on target with what we
were expecting... he said that there is significant darkening in the center of IT which is good news, no swelling, everything looks good. 
So needless to say I am thrilled,  put me in for a tsunami martini (its delicious)!

Thanks to all who have made information available and shared their experiences, this has been so incredibly helpful!

cheers,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 08:21:25 am »
SUE! OMG, that's fabulous!!!!!!!! It's folks like you and Sandy and Jamie and Mark and shoegirl and the rest of the CK gang that keep my spirits up on my decision!  A true shot in the arm for you (and me!) to hear this news!

I'm buying the martoonis!!!!!!!!! Congrats and continued wishes for this great news!

Phyl

OK just had my first MRI (6mos) Tues April 11, and my doctor just called me with the results....which are right on target with what we
were expecting... he said that there is significant darkening in the center of IT which is good news, no swelling, everything looks good. 
So needless to say I am thrilled,  put me in for a tsunami martini (its delicious)!

Thanks to all who have made information available and shared their experiences, this has been so incredibly helpful!

cheers,
Sue

SuzeAN

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 10:13:55 am »
Thanks Phyl!!  And I will get the next round after you get your good MRI results!!!

I don't know if you are having one at 3months or  6mos. , but whatever amount of time it is don't obsess about the wait. I kept looking at the calendar, I was like ok 2 more months until we can see whats going on.  Just let the time go by, it will pass whether we obsess about it or not.

Cheers,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

teasely

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:28:00 am »
This is fabulous news!  I just love reading these positive updates and imagining many weak little tumors in their death throes!

shoegirl

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 11:35:20 am »
Sue,

Wonderful News! I am so happy to hear that you got a good report!   :D

Hope the next one is even better!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005