Author Topic: OT: book club  (Read 7784 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
OT: book club
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:05:28 pm »
It seems like the only thing that keeps my spirits up or completely distracted is being here or reading a good book (not work, not TV, not movies)....so I thought a thread on what's good out there might be nice.  I'm in a book club at work, and we, so far, have read both of James Frey's books, 1776, and I just finished Sarah Dunant's "The Birth of Venus".  I would reccomend all 4 for different reasons.  This is my first Sarah Dunant, and I think I'm going back for more.   I prefer non-fiction, but this is like Dan Brown's books, fiction woven into non-fiction. 

I remember in posts that some of you are reading for rehab (and may never read after that), so while it's OT per se, there's a connection.  I have a feeling I'm going to be escaping in books a lot in the near future.  Trying to keep my stress level down.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

Re: OT: book club
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:20:47 pm »
I do a lot of reading.  I did before my surgery and now I do it for therapy and because I enjoy to read.  I'm a reading teacher so I guess it makes sense  lol  I tend to read historical romance or silly smut fluff.
You've probably seen in another post I metioned Stephanie Plum novels.  One of my employees bought me book 1 for xmas and I was hooked.  I laughed so hard at some of her escapades.  There are 12 books in the set and I've read all but number 11.  There's another writer who's books crack me up too but for the life of me can't remember her name right now just characters  lol

I'm always open for good books whether it's silly fluff, a good murder mystery or a self help book.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 10:27:10 pm »
I tried to get into Stephanie Plum, but just couldn't do it.  Maybe now that I'm setting aside more time for it????

If you like historical romance, you would like "The Birth of Venus".  It's about a 15 year old girl in 15th centrury Florence, who wants to be an artist, falls for the family painter, but also lives in the times of arranged marriages.  It takes place during the fall of the Medici family. 

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:33:45 pm »
Who wrote it?  I seem to read a lot of Jo Beverly, Garwood, Lowell, Roberts...I can't remember all the authors I just read what my mom or sis in law passes to me  lol metro girl was ok but I guess because I know nascar and miami it was a little out there for me.

Static

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 09:33:01 am »
I like to read but am too lazy to take my FA to the library!   I usually read whatever my kids have to read for school so I've read all kinds of stuff including all the Harry Potter books.  After I have a previous surgery (perforated ulcer) someone had recommended a book by Dean Koontz called "Watchers".  OMG, I couldn't put it down, it was a really great book if you like that sort of thing.  I'll have to get the names of some of the books I read that were my kids, I just can't think of any right now  :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

matti

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 10:41:49 am »
Gennysmom - Thanks for the tip, sounds like "Birth of Venus"  is something I would really enjoy, I am a big fan of Dan Brown.

I like Historical romance and smut. Right now I am reading books on meditation. Trying to get my stress level down, hoping that will make me feel better.

Static - I used to love to read my kids books too

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Static

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 12:18:34 pm »
Some of the girls books are pretty good considering they are in 7th & 12th grades, although some of them I just can't get through let alone imagine having to totally critique the books and write essays, etc.  I'm sure glad I already put my time in years ago but it's quite ashame that I don't remember much of it, especially those 70's  :-X
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 02:12:33 pm »
I'm addicted to Harry Potter...have all the books, audio books and movies.  It's just such a good story. 

Sarah Dunant is the author of "The Birth of Venus".  She has a new book out, I think it's something like "The Consort" or something.  She's a British author as well. 

Probably boring to you girls, but the guys might like it...I'm just cracking Rick Ridgeway's "The Big Open": On foot across Tibet's Chang Tang.  One of my favorite books is his "In the shadow of Kilimanjaro" where he walks from the Kili summit across Tsavo east and west.  Lots of history, geography, and zoology involved. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:26:41 pm »
When I was in FL this winter I got hooked on Carl Hiaasen.  I love humor (No kidding)Also I read (reread) Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" which is a beautifully written, funny, funny memoir, especially for anyone who lived or sailed in the Caribbean in the 70's and 80's--like yours truly.  I remeber his little hotel/tiki bar/ outdoor disco "Autour de Rocher" on St. Bart's very well.  Also Le Select, which is lengendary!

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

LID

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 05:48:52 pm »
Hey- We were just in St. Bart's 2 weeks ago. Trying to forget about AN surgery! Cheeseburgers @ Le Select! Started going there after 'Autour De Roche' closed , but it is still there in kind of a skeletal shape. Did you live OR sail there?
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 08:25:40 pm »
I was a Caribbean sailor for 20 years or so and a charterboat captain.  Mostly sailed there and had a friend who had a house in LOrient.
Capt Deb 8)

Static

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:50 pm »
All this talk about sailing has me wanting to make a run to the ocean, I've always loved the salt water/air.  Last time I was on a boat I was deep sea fishing when I was 6 mos preggers with my now 17 yr old!  My first time in the ocean for a swim after an surgery was a scary thing.  It really throws your body around, and even standing in ankle deep water is a challenge.  The first time I went under a wave I came up and had no idea where up was!  Glad my kiddies were right there and grabbed, scared the poo outta me.  Decided I wouldn't be doing that for quite some time unless there's someone right at my side and even then, it's just plain ole scary.  Still love the ocean salt water and air though, don't think that will ever change.  Soon as the weather breaks, I'm makin a run for it!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 08:34:08 pm »
I'm 15 mins from the beach..actually walked on it the first time about two weeks ago...I'm sure I looked comical out there with my lack of balance and shifting sand  lol

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 09:03:48 pm »
Oh Batty,
Me, too--couldn't you tell?

I rehabbed in Florida and my first time walking the beach was a trip!  There were these guys kite-surfing and I kept trying to watch them and trying to walk at the same time. I'm sure folks thought I was drunk!

I went to the NC coast 18 months post-op and my friend were all boogie-boarding and I grabbed my board and dove on in.  I caught 2 waves before my head started SCREAMING.
Spent the next day and a half up in the 7th floor beachfront condo with a massive headache watching everybody play on the beach and crying.  Poo--Pooo--Pooo!

Feeling lots better these days and going to give it another shot this summer, or maybe even go to visit friends on St. John this spring!

Capt Deb 8)

Static

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 09:06:46 pm »
Oh yeah, that walk to the water on the sand is quite interesting and probably very good therapy.  Batty, 15 minutes from the beach?  I am there.  ::pulling out mapquest for directions to batty's beach:: 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right