Author Topic: New MRI  (Read 5487 times)

mk

Re: New MRI
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 06:26:16 pm »
Just a small thing to add to Tumbleweed's very explanatory post. Depending on the software, there may be a measuring tool available in one of the menus (usually it shows like a ruler). You can select it and drag your mouse across the dimension you want to measure and voila, the measurement appears on the screen. I had MRIs at three different locations, but this tool was always available, although in a bit different form. It is calibrated, so that the dimension you measure is the same, irrespective of the magnification.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tumbleweed

Re: New MRI
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »
One other thing: I've found it somewhat hard to measure with certainty the transverse dimension of an AN that doesn't quite fill the entire IAC. For example, the lateral extent of my AN stops about 2 mm shy of the fundus (the bony partition between the IAC and the labyrinth). The lateral extent of the canal appears to be slightly lit up compared to the surrounding healthy area but is nevertheless a hair darker in contrast than the tumor itself (more grayish than white, almost like a shadow effect). Compare your own transverse measurement to that cited in your MRI report. If your measurement is significantly larger than the MRI report's spec, look more closely at the image to see if maybe you included an ever-so-slightly darker area inside the IAC that may not be tumor tissue.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08