Author Topic: Change in Tinnitus (1 year Post Op)....  (Read 4663 times)

Jwh

Change in Tinnitus (1 year Post Op)....
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:45:35 am »
Hi Folks!
It's been awhile since my last visit to this site.  I just celebrated my 1 year post - op anniversay!  That would be my second surgery since I had a regrowth. 

Anyway my situation is this.....I started having a low humming noise in addition to my regular tinnitus in my bad ear.  It's been pretty constant.  Anyone experience this before - change in tinnitus being so far out of surgery?

Of course my main concern would be another regrowth.  I couldn't even imagine since I've been through this two times already!  I had the Translab done with very experienced doctors.  My one year follow-up MRI is coming up and now I'm nervous.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Change in Tinnitus (1 year Post Op)....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:29:17 pm »
Hi, Jen ~

Congratulations on your 1-year (second) surgery anniversary.  I can't credibly speculate on the source of the humming sound you're experiencing but your upcoming MRI scan will tell you (and your doctor) whether any re-growth has occurred.  My uneducated guess is that the new sound isn't associated with a re-growth but again, only the MRI can verify that.  Assuming there is no re-growth, perhaps your doctor can find or refer you to someone who can isolate the source of the humming and work to eliminate or at least, diminish it. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »
Thanks Jim for your response!  AN is a disease that doesn't let my mind rest.....  Always waiting for the next MRI with fingers crossed.

Any other takers?? Would love to hear from you - with your thoughts!  Anyone experience change in tinnitus that continues?

Thanks - looking forward to reading your responses.

cecile k

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:26:25 pm »
Hi Jen:

I had a change in my tinnitus as well which happened some months after surgery, plus additional tinnitus in my good ear. That scared me silly but further MRIs since then showed no regrowth or new growth. Hope this puts your mind at ease :-)

Cecile

Now eight years post op - another MRI due this year some time.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »
Jen:

My tinnitus changed after surgery for the better. Before surgery I had several different sounds in that ear. What I heard after surgery was a single sound, a sort of buzz. When I get headaches the tinnitus does get really loud--sometimes I get it in my good ear too.

It stayed that way for over 1 year. But now almost 2 years post-op, I get a ping every now and then throughout the day. I do wonder if re-growth might be to blame. My 1 year MRI showed no new growth. I'm hoping my 2 year MRI shows the same.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jwh

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:46:41 pm »
Thanks for your responses.  It helps when you hear from people who are going through it and who have been through the same experiences. 

bdsgurl

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:00:47 pm »
WOW! I think we had our surgery REAL close together, I remember emailing you a bit and you were very encouraging to me!! THank you for that. I just wrote a post about having a change in tinnitus just after a year post op. I had NONE at all for the first year after surgery and now have a wind-like noise and also an occasional popcorn pop! I too have been totally stressing about the possibility of regrowth, I have an appt in LA for a follow up in about 2 weeks so hopefully he'll order me and MRI and praying that everything is ok. I had pulsatile tinnitue before surgery and for a month afterwards and found out that was due to a blocked vein in my neck that they nicked during surgery, but a month post op that went away too, THANK GOD, cuz it was HORRIBLE. Anyway, I will keep you in my thoughts as you continue in your recovery and pray that neither of our latest issues are anything but just another step in our recovery!!

keemic77

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 01:32:49 am »
I am Michael from HK. I have also encounter the Tinnitus after the surgery since October 2009. As per my understanding the Tinnitus is still with my after the surgery and some buzz will be happened every minute, sometimes loudly. This month I will carry out the MRI again before seeing the doctor. so I would like to receive your comment if there is someone like me there is still Tinnitus after the surgery of AN removal, thanks.

Angela R.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:43:28 am »
I have tinnitus and it has not gone away since my tumor removal surgery in June.  I tend to think regrowth would not have any affect since the way my doctor explained it to me, all damage is permanent.  Therefore I think once the nerve is damaged, it is damaged.  So I wouldn't worry until you get to see the doctor and he can address your specific situation.  That is what I am having to learn with dealing with an AN, don't worry until you know for sure you have something to worry about.  Otherwise, you are constantly stressed!   :o
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

keemic77

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 11:19:54 am »
Hi Angela,

As per the explanation from my doctor last Oct 2009, he mentioned that for someone who may have a chance to recover in a ratio percentage, such as recover 10% for 2nd year , and 20% for 3rd year.... If your doctor say that the nervous is damaged peramantly, so I need to believe and try to live with Tinnitus happily as this can be taken easily on every part of my life. ^_^

cin605

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »
My tinnitus...yep my very own annoying tinnitus changes on a dailey basis and also has found its way to my good ear...hum..wahh...beeeeep...twang...mmmmm...eeeeeeeee...ahhhhhhh..whooo....mwa,mwa.mwa...at the moment it is the sound you hear when you have a hearing test and have to raise your hand as to which side it is...both hands in the air..not going down.. ::)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old