Author Topic: What are my chances of getting a Flight Attendant job with SSD?  (Read 5091 times)

kippy6

I had my AN surgery by Dr. Brackmann abour 4 years ago. I am doing very well with no problems. I only have total hearing loss in my right ear. My husband has been pressuring me to get a job. I have gone back and taken classes to become a teacher, but cannot find a teaching position. A friend of mine is a flight attendant, and can  refer me for a position where she works. I am so excited, as I have always loved travelling, and would love to be able to do this if I can manage the emotional aspects of being away from my sweet children. :'(  :'(

However, I wonder how I would do as a flight attendant. I honestly cannot tell where sounds come from. I am concerned about potential safety issues, but am really looking here for any "rules" that say you can't be a FA unless you have hearing in both ears, and can tell where sounds come from. I have looked it up online, and cannot find any Federal Aviation standards or rules that state anything similar to this.

AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: What are my chances of getting a Flight Attendant job with SSD?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:46:34 pm »
Kippy ~

I can't answer your question directly but I would guess that simply contacting the airline you've been referred to and asking a Flight Attendant recruiter (via phone or e-mail) if they'll consider an applicant who is deaf in one ear would get you the answer you're seeking.  I have my doubts and I know the job involves a lot of standing and balance but of course, you know better than anyone else what you can handle.  I wish you luck as you attempt to pursue a new career.  Please let us know the result of your inquiry.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 05:54:08 am »
I'm guessing - as long as your "disability" doesn't interfere with your ability to do the job, and as long as you can still do the job with some sort of assistance (such as a hearing aid or BAHA?), then I'm not sure they can discriminate against you.

I'm NOT SSD, however, I am hearing impaired on my AN side, and it DOES present significant challenges in my job.  I work in prison, and often have to walk down long corridors with cells on each side, and talk to the inmates through the cell doors.  Depending on which side of the corridor I'm on, then it can present a challenge with making sure my "good" ear is nearest the person speaking.  My hearing aid is marginally helpful with this problem.

The flight attendant job would be similar, in that your AN ear would sometimes be closest to the travelers.  I know that, for me, this would be a VERY frustrating job. Seems like a situation in which BAHA might be real useful.  Maybe some of our BAHA folks will chime in here.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

kippy6

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll start off by asking my friend. Regarding the BAHA, I don't understand how that works. If I were to get that, will I really be able to hear sounds out of my "Deaf" ear? Would this help with being able to tell where sounds come from? Right now, every sound in the world sounds like it is on my left side. If I were a Flight Attendant, I would think that in certain situations, such as if a traveller was choking, I would need to be able to get to him as soon as possible. Sometimes you only hear a sound once and need to be able to go straight to it. I'm wondering how much a BAHA would help with that...
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:57:01 pm »
Kippy -

I've worn a BAHA for 2+ years now and I honestly don't think it would help a flight attendant because of the safety component of the job.  I'd imagine that compromised hearing - even if it's aided by a BAHA - wouldn't be acceptable.  However, I could be totally wrong about this.  Like Jim suggested, I'd check with one of the airlines and find out the requirements of the job.

Although I've gained some directionality, most BAHA wearers don't.  And while I absolutely love my BAHA, it's not like "normal" hearing. 

The BAHA works through bone conduction and if someone is on your "bad" side, you can hear them quite clearly if the environment is quiet enough.  The latest processor from Cochlear (BP100) works fairly well in noisy/crowded environments, but it still has limitations. 

This is one of my favorite websites explaining the BAHA and how it works http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

Also check out www.cochlearamericas.com

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:37:18 pm »
I always thought that beeing SSD would predispose me of not being able to have a kid for fear of never finding them in a forest if they are lost screaming DADDY DADDY. I gave up on that fear and had a kid anyway. I say just go for the interview and see what they say.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

bell

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:01 am »
Hi Kippy,
I am late to this post as we have been very busy!
I am a flight attendant and lost my hearing in my right ear after surgery(SSD).
FAA states that you can fly SSD. I do not know if a company would hire you with SSD.
Honestly it is very diificult working in that environment. It is already so loud on airplanes and being SSD it is very hard to  hear what people are asking you.
As for any emergencies it should be ok because there is usually alot of noise and commotion. 
I am looking into a cochlear implant but just keeping putting it off. My kids are already having a hard time of me always asking them what they said. My husband well....I never listened to him before so why change!!!!
Good luck in your decision and it never hurts to "go for it."
Bell