Author Topic: Surgery...  (Read 2127 times)

vicki1967

Surgery...
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:04:55 pm »
Well, since I've received so much help on this forum, I felt like it was time to step out of denial (after 1 1/2 years), and into reality. Also, I am so fed up with the issues I am facing at work, that I thought 'I think I'd rather have my skull drilled open, then work under these conditions'. I was actually ANXIOUS. I figured I could use the six, or so, weeks off from work to get away from this torment - as I recovered, on my little 'vacation'  8). I would finally get some peace of mind as I kissed work GOODBYE!!  :-*

So, I go to the doctor today. He reads over all of my reports - from previous doctors. He then gives me this TOTALLY GRIM news...'It's not very complicated anymore. It's actually quite simple. Oh, no - we DON'T NEED to open the skull, we can just go through the ear. You MAY be in the hospital overnight, and you'll be back to work in just a few short weeks...' I thought 'WHAT??  >:( THIS CAN'T BE!! A FEW SHORT WEEKS?? NOT COMPLICATED?? DARN IT!'  :'(

So, if my insurance okays this procedure, I will be getting SIMPLE surgery on June 7th. We ran into something a little unusual - my doctor is covered under my insurance, but the HOSPITAL isn't. I have Medical Mutual SuperMed Plus - and I intend to go to a University Hospital facility. I don't want to go to the Cleveland Clinic due to the resident with the pending assault charges, and I don't want to go to Metrohealth, due to their rudeness. I don't have many options, as it's not easy finding a doctor who has Acoustic Neuroma experience - as the one at University Hospitals does.

Has anyone had any problems with this procedure and their insurance?

george3933

Re: Surgery...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »
Vicki-
You refer to University Hospital.  Which one?  I am in Michigan and there is one of the U of M.  Are you talking about that one?  I imagine there is one in just about every state.
George
12mm x 9mm x 13mm AN on left side.  Diagnosed on 4/5/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:13:56 pm »
we DON'T NEED to open the skull, we can just go through the ear. You MAY be in the hospital overnight, and you'll be back to work in just a few short weeks...'

Okay, Vicki, I'm confused here.

Are you saying that you don't have an acoustic neuroma  ???  Or is this just the way the doctor is proposing he remove your AN  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:33:20 pm »
Vicki:

I'm guessing that you're referring to an endoscopic surgical procedure. 

If so, that is a fairly new procedure for removing acoustic neuromas.  Not many of us have experience with this method of surgery, although it sounds promising.  I find it amusing that many of us dread surgery and subsequent hospitalization while you looked forward to it and now, that option has been unceremoniously taken away.  I'm sorry if you're upset, but I hope the endoscopic surgery goes well for you and your insurance hassles can be resolved.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

vicki1967

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:48:44 pm »
I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said I was looking forward to the surgery - just because I get treated like dirt at work. Yes, it is an Acoustic Neuroma - and I've finally received my latest MRI report that shows the size (but I'm not sure how to add this info to my profile...??) Anyway, it is 5mm in AP and 15 mm in transverse dimension (??). Since I've given my prior reports to the latest physician, I don't have them with me now. I believe this tumor is growing about 6 mm each year, based on what I can remember from the previous dimensions.
Today, I believe I may need to refrain from getting my hopes up with this 'simple' surgery - as Medical Mutual SuperMed Plus does not consider University Hospitals to be within their network, yet the doctor iswithin network.

I would have to pay approximately $8,000 in out of pocket expenses if I go with the UH doctor - and get the easy surgery. If I go through the Cleveland Clinic, I won't have to pay anything, but the doctor there - Dr. Joung Lee - does not do this kind of surgery. Dr. Lee only opens the skull. I believe this procedure is MUCH MORE COSTLY than the UH doctor's procedure. I'm going to do some research on the internet on this procedure, because I would feel better getting the incision through the ear. Has anybody here had that kind of surgery? Or, what about problems with insurance?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:00:57 pm »
(but I'm not sure how to add this info to my profile...??)

Vicki -

at the top of this page, right under "search" box there are 5 "buttons".  Click on the Profile button.  Then under"modify profile" select "Forum Profile Information".  Go to the signature section, type your information then select the "Change Profile" button at the bottom of the page to save what you typed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways