Author Topic: My daughter had surgery 34 years ago by Dr. Jack Pulec in Los Angeles.  (Read 2316 times)

Virginia Wesley

My daughter was diagnosed at 2 years. She had very satisfactory results from the surgery, however she has had ongoing serious problems from the surgery throughout her life. She is 36 today.

I am certain the the tumor resulted from her father's exposure to agent orange during his service in Viet Nam as a platoon leader. Is there any research concerning this? She was very young to have such a large tumor.

Please advise.
Virginia Wesley

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: My daughter had surgery 34 years ago by Dr. Jack Pulec in Los Angeles.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:57:58 am »
Hi, Virginia ~

Welcome to the ANA discussion forum.  You pose an interesting question but one that I cannot answer as I'm not aware of scientific studies linking exposure to Agent Orange and an acoustic neuroma.  However, because many AN patients had no such exposure and acoustic neuromas were discovered over 100 years ago, I would be skeptical of the connection, without ruling it out completely.  At this point, to the best of my knowledge - I'm not a doctor or scientist - the 'trigger' for AN development is unknown, although speculation abounds. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »
For what it's worth ...... several presenters at the last ANA Symposium (June, 2011) stated that the only known cause for the potential to develop acoustic neuromas is a patient receiving large doses of ionizing radiation ..... unless a person carries the NF2 gene.

I have not read any research that Agent Orange or any other factor in a parent can be passed to an offspring, causing an AN, other than the NF2 gene.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

thisisajourney

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
Hello. What are some of her problems? I to was diagnosed two years ago. There is alot of great information on this site and alot of knowledgeable people. I pray that your daughter and yourself have a blessed day.

thisisajourney

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:54:47 pm »
My tumor was a 4 X 2.9 my ear nerve was severed I m left with deafness tinnitus dry eye due to no tears manually have to blink my eye but tend to forget to. Facial paralyis was bad is better now. Balance issues and the wonky head feeling that everyone speaks about on here.