Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408828 times)

JulieE

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #645 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:48 am »
Sold!
jules

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #646 on: September 03, 2008, 09:22:59 pm »
Dana,

Thanks for taking the baton.

I am going to get the book tomorrow. 
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #647 on: September 04, 2008, 08:54:11 am »
Thanks for taking the baton, Dana!  I've been out of the loop for a few days, so sorry I didn't respond to questions sooner - oops! 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #648 on: September 04, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
I've also been remiss about checking this thread...thanks, Dana!  I am going to try to find the book today!

See you next Wednesday, right?  Good idea to discuss along the way...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #649 on: September 08, 2008, 07:59:03 pm »
Beginning of Black Wave discussion:

I don't work on Mondays, so I started re-reading Black Wave today, and thought I'd post some questions even though it's not Wednesday yet.

Would you ever dream of or consider taking on such an adventure in the first place?

As I started rereading it, other questions arose:

Did this book help you see and feel whole other ways of perceiving life (as it did for me) -- John's love of floating through life, Jack's delight in all sea creatures....?

Doesn't it seem to you that Jean shows amazingly perception about her family, and that she can put that perception into words?

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #650 on: September 08, 2008, 08:40:57 pm »
Dana,

I haven't been able to read the book yet...but I like your questions:-)
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2008, 07:25:26 am »
Dana-

Great questions. 

I found myself vascillating between admiration and anger during the book. Admiration because I admire anyone who can take such a big step to achieve a dream.  Anger because I thought it was a little selfish of John to take his children away from their friends for such a long period of time - not to mention exposing them to such extreme danger.  Then, on the other hand, it was a life-defining experience for the children...

I thought Jean was the real hero in the book. 

Debbi

2.4 cm Right Side AN

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #652 on: September 10, 2008, 04:26:08 pm »
Debbi,
I agree it was emotionally risky to take the kids away from their regular life, but I think the probability that it would change their lives forever, positively, was high enough that it's a risk I would take, if I were John and Jean.

It's funny, because my emotional reaction reading the book naturally focuses on what a wonderful appreciation for life and Earth each of them has, each in their own way.  Not on the heroism of it.  As you might know, I've fought depression since a teen, and I'd say recently I'm moving into a "place" (in consciousness) where I can be happy just enjoying being on Earth everyday.  (I hope I STAY in this new "place" -- please, please, God!!)  I don't read too many books, and I certainly don't read abstract ones about "enjoying life everyday", so this one has helped me, by the example of the 'characters', experience what it might be like.

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #653 on: September 10, 2008, 05:43:56 pm »
This is definitely a book that makes you see things from different angles, which is one of the things I like about it.  For me, Jean's character came through the clearest, maybe because she resonated with me on some levels.  Anyway, I finished the book a month ago and am still thinking about it, which tells you something!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #654 on: September 10, 2008, 09:37:49 pm »
I haven't read it ...my dog ate it when he ate my daughters homework  :o ...or maybe it is just lost in the house  :-\
...but I plan too when it turns up ...so I can't comment on book specifics

but in regards to the question
Would you ever dream of or consider taking on such an adventure in the first place?

I dream of it all the time ... would like to take off on land not sea and roam around the country avoiding
people for the most part and seeing the land...

as an army brat we moved constantly and I have been from coast to coast across Canada and in northern Mexico ...
we didn't stay in motels along the way but a camp trailer or tents... we didn't do things along the way like Disney Land ...

we have been to Yosemite , the Grand Canyon , saw the redwoods and glaciers , the painted desert , rocky coast
of Maine and sandy beaches on the Gulf Coast and california...we have been to numerous caverns from Carlsbad to
Lauray Caverns in Virgina ...

my kids want to go on a walk about (only in the truck) ...we do short day trips to state parks ,caves etc as  that is
about all I can afford or handle...a big trip  is only a dream at this point ... coast and my endurance keeps it that way...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #655 on: September 11, 2008, 05:30:39 am »
My dog ate mine also  ;) or something along those lines.  At any rate, I haven't read it either...doesn't look like I'll get to it in time for this discussion.  So, I'll catch you on the next book...

Sounds like it is a good story, though. 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JulieE

« Reply #656 on: September 13, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »
Well, I am guilty of doing other things - thus, have just cracked the book (went right to pictures).  Regarding the danger aspect however:
In my experience, besides my family, I have two loves:  the first is glassblowing and the second is motorcycling.
I gave up the later when we decided to start a family, planning to retire on Honda Goldwings after the kids were gone.
I even became concerned about the glassblowing:  there is a higher incidence of lung cancer among women who blow glass than men, and I was thinking I should move to a "safer" medium, to ensure my presence for my children's sake.  Then, after attending the American Grand Prix (car racing) at Indy, I was jazzed, and wanted to get back into motorcycle racing.  I was torn by the selfishness of this concept and as I wandered the airport at Indianapolis, I was trying to come to terms with this, and found myself staring at a magazine which had a cover article on mothers with dangerous occupations (firefighters, etc.).  I purchased this in-flight reading material and in a few hours I had a new outlook:  All these mothers questioned their choices, but the premise of the article was that they would ultimately be denying their children if they denied themselves.  I became determined to get a motorcycle, but only for the track, under controlled circumstanes.  2years passed, and no motorcycle - I could not justify the capital investment.  Then I had the AN diagnosis: not lung cancer; not being smeared on asphault; how could I protect myself? 
I couldn't.  I realized I had to live.  I bought the bike: first one I looked at on craigslist.  Trust the guy selling? Turns out his mother had a tumor removed 20 years earlier.  Devine intervention.  They had just finished building a 1.7 mile road track nearby that my husband had joined the year prior, and upon learning of my DX the owners said free track time whenever.  I would still need leathers, and I hovered on ebay (new leathers can cost more than I paid for the used bike).  None small enough.  Then, turns out a woman runs the motorcycle track days heard of my desire and loaned me some (I call every one along the way my personal "Make a Riders Wish Foundation").  I found child care and went motorcycling as fast as I could!  This was the picture on my blog where I was smiling as big as Dallas!  I had surgery 3weeks later.  Now, when I see people who know of my interest, they never ask if I'm going to ride again, they ask when I will ride again.  I recently watched my daughter, who exercises exteme caution in everything she does, go bonzai down our drive on her bike (with a helmet/pads) and held my breath, hoping she wouldn't bite it as the terrain is extremeley rough and rocky.  She made it, and circled around with a smile from ear to ear and to my surprise did it again!  It was then I knew she has way to much dopamine just like me...
It is for this reason I can't judge the Silverwoods; and I see their smiles.
Julie

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #657 on: September 13, 2008, 05:54:45 pm »
Great story, Julie!  I love driving, and have driven a BMW F>>A>>S>>T in my life once.  But that's the extent of my physical risk-taking.  I consider myself a 'risk taker' in LIFE... I've often changed the direction of my life in one day -- decision and action same day.  I've been active in  groups that I believed in, but were unpopular with the public.  In that sense I feel somewhat fearless.

But, don't ever ask me to bungee jump, ride of roller coaster, etc etc!!

Although Silverwood's ended up being a daredevil trip (in the sense that they crashed), I think the main 'daredevil' aspect of it was the commitment of the lives of everyone in the family to several years away from the lives they were used to.
Dana

JulieE

« Reply #658 on: September 13, 2008, 08:43:02 pm »
After getting a job at a business machine company, I got a BMW (It was the beginning of a life with acronyms) Then I went to get insurance and it completely blew me away it was so high.  I asked my agent why and he tod me it was because BMW owners tend to drive with "reckless abandon".  To this day I joke about "RA" drivers!
BTW - I totally respect risk taking in manners not physical: fuuny - I am probably more conservative in that manner.  None the less, you won't ever see me bungee jump either!
Jules

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #659 on: September 13, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »
Bungee jumping  ...no

I have repelled off the training tower at Fort Campbell Kentucky years ago , when they used to open it up
for a weekend each year  to 4th and 5th grade Webelos scouts and repelled off cliffs on the Elk and Duck Rivers ,
also with Scouts ...can't let the boys out do me ...  :)

my now ex husband was telling me there was no good reason to jump off a perfectly good cliff unless being
chased by a bear... but it was fun and I liked the feeling when I was in free air and had to control the drop by
hand tension on rope and  no wall to bounce off of ...

I may be too old and out of shape for that now...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery