Author Topic: Things I wish I had of known before surgery...  (Read 9468 times)

cindyj

Re: Things I wish I had of known before surgery...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:05:35 pm »
Lupy, I can't imagine that the ANA office wouldn't send info to Australia, but if for some reason they don't, send me a PM with your address and I'll go over and pick up the info for you and send it.  I live 3-4 minutes (literally) from the ANA office...will be no trouble at all.

As others have noted, AN surgery recovery is different for all, but it's good to know in general what to expect - was very helpful as I was going through it to know that so many others had been through the same things and came through it all.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 02:37:41 pm »
Jim, actually the continual stream of finger and eyeball obsessed folks helped the time pass quicker. I wasn't in the hospital very long. Op on Tuesday, home in time for Saturday morning cartoons. But during the recovery phase I really didn't feel much like 'doing' anything like reading or TV and they weren't giving me good enough drugs to keep me knocked out all the time.

I had visitors but most of them came after work so the frequent neuro checks were somewhat entertaining...especially after my head cleared enough that my often odd sense of humor cranked back up to full effect. Me bored and an endless stream of serious young folks trying to appear professional..not necessarily a good combination for them.

Lupy, also, that first car ride was a tiny bit torturous for me. My vestibular system was very sensitive and the bumping, swaying of the car was not that much fun. I took the nausea meds, reclined the seat, and put a towel over my eyes.. of course later, I got to really wondering what a roller coaster ride would be like in this state of hypersensitive vestibularity (I love roller coasters).

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

OTO

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 07:44:25 pm »
One thing they don't tell you... you're going to have a catheter.   This was my first surgery other than having my tonsils out when I was 6 years old....  so it was something different...

Lupy

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 12:39:56 am »
Thanks guys this is great! Well, kind of, it still doens't sound very nice but I would reather know than be surprised. It sounds like everyones experience is quite unique (i.e. blurry vision, tubes, appetite, coffee (!)) but one more question - did every one feel like they had 'been hit by a mac truck' afterwards? I have spoken to a few people who said when they work up they were so whacked out on drugs they really didn't feel much pain or discomfort.

I will email about ANA literature and see what they say...

Thanks again guys you rock!

:D
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Migoi

• Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 04:16:29 am »
Lupy,

For me ithere wasn't much pain except that caffiene withdrawal headache. I'm sure that was a matter of them doing good drug management to control it.

It was more like a "I'm sure glad I don't have to be anywhere for a few days, I can just lie here and take it easy." Imagine the worst week you've had at work, Friday evening comes around and you kind of collapse on your sofa and feel like it would take dynamite to get you out... that's kind of how I felt for the most part.

I haven't been hit by a Mack truck, but I did have a head on collision with a car while riding my bicycle once... I felt much worse after that wreck than I did after the AN surgery..at least pain and discomfort-wise.

But as you said, everyone has a unique experience.

Maybe I have an overactive imagination...but how I thought it would be was much worse that it actually was.

..take care... tim b
On a hill in Onda, AR

cindyj

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:37 am »
I'm with Tim, I didn't have pain (except for the caffeine w/drawal headache), so much as shear exhaustion...and nausea, for me.  Even after being released from the hospital, it was still several days before I could both wash my face AND brush my teeth at the same time!  Was amazing how weak I was...but after about 2 weeks, I felt dramatically better!

Do let me know about the ANA literature.  Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 07:46:31 am »
but one more question - did every one feel like they had 'been hit by a mac truck' afterwards? I have spoken to a few people who said when they work up they were so whacked out on drugs they really didn't feel much pain or discomfort.

I didn't feel at all like I'd been "hit by a mac truck" in the recovery room. I'm sure there was an element of "survivor euphoria," but even with that factor aside, I didn't feel bad or uncomfortable at all. I was among the fortunate ones who didn't experience any nausea, double vision, headaches, etc. in ICU. My only issue was extreme thirst ... and that was resolved by a constant supply of ice chips and the water-soaked sponge the nurses gave me to suck on. I had been dreading the catheter removal; I asked the nurses when that was going to happen, and they said it had already been removed ... so it was a non-issue. I certainly realize that everyone's response/reaction is different, but I definitely did not have a "mac truck" experience at any point during my hospital stay.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 08:07:00 am »
I had a very hard time coming out of the anesethic( spelling?) so my body felt like a lead weight. I had no pain whatsoever which I'm grateful for.  The head gear was uncomfortable. But once they got me up walkin, there was no looking back. My head is still sore from being in a vise but getting better as each day goes by.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 09:20:56 am »
Hi,
No mack truck experience here, but I definitely felt worse the longer I was awake.  I had pain in my neck but not my head.  I had no nausea. They started me on a liquid diet (which I ate even though it was horrible) and progressed to really bad solid food.  I was operated on Tuesday, home Thursday afternoon.  BTW, the catheter was a surprise to me (they did it while I was under) and there was no problem taking it out.  It was not a big deal at all.  They kept asking me who the president was and I kept making jokes.  I also told them that they should ask my neighbor his questions quietly because it was easy for me to cheat since by the time they got to me I'd already heard the answers!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

tenai98

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 10:15:24 am »
One of the first questions they asked me, who was prime minister...I almost answered Obama as I follow US poliitics more than the Canadian. But I caught myself and answered "Haper".  I never had a liquid diet.  Went straight to solids...and by george, the hospital food was good, just not enough of it...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 11:23:09 am »
I didn't feel like the mac truck hit me either.  I was just really tired, had all the pain meds I wanted, but never had much pain, no nausea at all, and went right to solid food as soon as I wanted it.  The IVs were the worst for me because of these stinkin' tiny rolling veins!!  And...I got frustrated with the nurses in ICU not being very attentive to my calls to have help to the restroom.  If I had known it would take them forever to get to my room, I would have begged to have the catheter left in just a while longer!!!  I was too teetery to get up completely unassisted (Not really dizzy, just wobbly from the anesthesia and meds).  Like Marci, my neck was the biggest source of pain for me but that just takes time - they had to cut through muscles - but again, pain meds kept that very controllable.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 01:18:26 pm »
Lupy ~

I definitely had the 'hit by a Mack truck' feeling when I awoke in the ICU.  This lasted approximately 18 hours, and I slept most of that time.  Once I came out of it (fatigue, anesthesia) I started feeling much better - but I was weak.  Of course, I was also over 60 which probably was a factor, but I was in very good health and suffered no complications.  No CSF leaks, headaches, incision infections, nausea or dizziness.  No neck aches, either.  Just SSD (just as I was prior to surgery) and a few days of mild double vision (I could watch TV but reading was a challenge).  I assumed the extreme fatigue I experienced in the first 18-to-24 hours post-op were a combination of the trauma of a 9-hour skull surgery and the after-effects of the anesthesia.

These varied post-op experience are informative and, once again, underline the fact that every AN surgery patient has a slightly different experience.  Some have a relatively easy time of it, some have a bit of trouble that resolves fairly quickly and some, unfortunately, have a lot of problems, some intractable. There are so many factors involved; size of the AN, it's exact location, how difficult to remove the tumor, length of the surgery, surgical complications that arose during surgery, the surgeons skill (and experience), the patients overall health and attitude, etc.  Some AN surgeries are over in 5 or 6 hours.  Most are 8 -10 hours.  Some go 12 -16 hours (or more).  It's a very mixed bag and while we can gain some insight from each others experiences, there is simply no realistic way to accurately predict someone's ultimate surgical outcome.  Still, exchanging surgery experiences is a useful tool for learning, as long as we realize that 'your experience may be different' - because it probably will be.   :)

Jim            
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »
Hi Lupy,
We may have all had the 'hit by a truck' feeling if it weren't for the pain meds. The first few days, I was so out of it and it just didn't feel too badly. The little annoyances were more surprising - the IV's (they had to change the locations a couple of times), plus it was a bit painful to get some of the meds through them. The shots in the tummy didn't feel too great either. I guess my head was too numb at that point to hurt. Plus I was on Percocet and Valium. Once I was home, esp when / if I tried to ease off the pain meds and did stuff like stay on the computer too long or not put eye goo in or go for a walk when it was freezing and windy, then I would get some killer headaches. I was thankful I didn't get nausea (well, just a little). In the hospital I always wanted to try to walk to the bathroom and that freaked them out because they thought I would lose my balance.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Lilan

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 04:04:36 pm »
I have been reading some "preparing for surgery" material online and a lot of it references that you're not supposed to have acrylic nails or colored nail polish on fingers/toes during surgery because the color of your nails is an indicator of low oxygen.

Um, really?!?!? It's 2009 and we're doing microscopic brain surgery and sending Rovers to Mars, but they need to wait to see whether my nail beds turn blue to know if my blood oxygen is low? :o Isn't there some slightly higher-tech monitoring system? :o

Is this still commonly advised?
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Migoi

• Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 04:26:42 pm »
I don't generally wear nail poilish but I'm pretty sure the plastic thing they had clipped to my left index finger was an O2 monitor. Seems a bit outdated to me.

..take care.. tim b
On a hill in Onda, AR