Author Topic: I know this is gross.....but I need an opinion...  (Read 7818 times)

Melissa778

I know this is gross.....but I need an opinion...
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:56:26 am »
So I had my GK in Oct. '08 following my translab I had in May of '08....about two months ago I had a nasty bout with my trigeminal nerve causing me severe pain and doc diagnosed me with a nasty sinus infection also.  After two rounds of antibiotics to kill off this sinus infection I am back at square one.....

I know this is gross but when I blow my nose it smells so nasty I can't even describe it!  I've got the yucky green goop and it has not been touched by antibiotics.....Keep in mind that i have NEVER had sinus issues until my surgery/GK......are these sinus issues common after surgery/GK???  My docs are pretty unconcerned.....but it's driving me nuts that my nose and such smell like death....it's HORRIBLE, no exaggeration here......I assume the lovely smell is to be associated with "infection", but could anything else cause this?

Sorry to air my yucky story out there.... :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Sam Rush

Re: I know this is gross.....but I need an opinion...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »
Needs to be investiged. Could be an abscess w/  a resistant bacteria. Are you having a lot of facial pain.?? Don't want to give a lot of medical advice, but don't let the Dr's give you the brush off. Ask about a CT of sinuses.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Melissa778

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:07 pm »
Thanks Sam,

LOTS of facial, trigeminal, and tooth pain all on the AN side.  My head has been killing me for days.  Just tired of taking the antibitotics if they aren't helping.  And it would be nice to know why it just doesnt' seem to clear up.  My AN doc seems to think it's no issue, but I may see my PCP just to see what she thinks.....it actually HURTS deep inside my sinuses/nasal passages when I blow my nose.....I know it's so gross.  And it's just a sinus issue, but the smell (and taste in my mouth) is horrid!  I jsut can't see a thrid round of antibiotics doign much more than the first two did.....

Melissa
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
2011 Holding steady

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:15:41 pm »
Green goop does sound like a sinus infection...usually accompanied by that ol' rusty taste in the mouth.  I agree go for a follow up with the doc and keep on this.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:35:00 pm »
Hi Melissa,
That does sound like one heck of a sinus infection.  If two rounds of antibiotics haven't touched it, it's obviously time for something stronger/more drastic.  I agre with Sam, don't let your doctors put you off.

Best wishes and let us know how things are going.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

TP

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:45:17 pm »
After my surgery I had some things in my head that scared me when I blew my nose. I told my neurosurgeon when I had my Dr visits and he seemed to not understand what I was saying as well as not too concerned. I finally came to my own conclusion that all of that "stuff" came from the surgery. It lasted several months and eventually got better. However, now that it has been several years I have a new problem, since I have facial paralysis I don't have moisture on my left side and have dry eye issues as well as a very dry sinus cavity on my left side. That brings its own problems. I think I really need to invest in a humidifier.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:10:26 pm »
Melissa -

I'm no doctor, but Sam is - so I say go with his advice.

This green goop just doesn't sound right. 

Good luck; let us know the end result.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:20:29 am »
Melissa, my two cents:

A smell like you're describing is not normal and might be a worsening infection or tissue dying for some other reason. Please get this taken care of ASAP. If your current doctor and prescription aren't working, see someone else. Don't be passive on this one. Take the wheel!

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:58:37 am »
I'd be sure to push it with the doc's.....nasty infection it sounds like it to me and one thing that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned.....gause left in???? (you had surgery right????) I'd want something done to determine the cause of all of this
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Melissa778

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:19 am »
Thanks all for all of your advice.  Does anyone know if this is a common occurance after GK?  I've never had a sinus infection until I had the GK in October, and I've now had one ever since. 

I have an appt. this morning with a PCP, unfort. it's not my regular doc as she is on vaca.... :( :(  So I'll be seeing a doc I've never seen before.....it'll be a long appt I'm sure as I'll have to go over EVERYTHING.  I just hope not to be "dismissed" again because he is unfamiliar with my case and is just going to give me more antibiotics.

When the initial onset of this began I was prescribed Tegretol to help my facial pain/trigeminal nerve pain.  I had stopped taking it because the pain had mostly subsided and it's been about a month since I've taken it, I had to break down and pull out the script last night because the pain in my face is back full force.  I just hope it's something that can be cleared up soon, tired of dealing with "stinky" snot :)

Thanks all for your advice :)

Melissa

Also, I have noticed over the last week that my tinnitus has gotten noticeably worse.....could be just coincidence....??? 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:28:59 am by Melissa778 »
2011 Holding steady

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 03:49:31 pm »
Melissa-

I'm very interested to hear what the PCP says - your symptoms defintiely don't sound good.  I've always understood that "green goop" from the nose is the sign of some sort of infection, so good that you are taking a pro-active approach.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tamara

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:28:52 pm »
If you don't find the answer with your primary care doctor, try to see an allergist.  I work for one, and he's also a good friend.  The allergist should be able to find the cause of this, and could order a CT of the sinuses if warranted (Of course, so could any other doctor).

Best wishes,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Tumbleweed

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 02:04:53 am »
Melissa:

One other thing you might try is a neti pot. Basically, you irrigate your nasal passages with salt water, cleaning them out and disinfecting and soothing the mucous membranes. I always do this when I catch a cold, and it always makes me feel instantly better and shortens the length of the cold. You should be able to find a neti pot at a well-stocked natural-foods store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation#Jala_neti

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:00:22 pm »
Melissa -

just checking in.  What did the doc say?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 08:35:29 am »
Well, they think I have a bacterial infection and have put me on some pretty powerful antibiotics.  I have about 3 days left on them and if they dont' kill it off they'll do a CT to check further on what may be going on.  Not so sure the antibiotics are working....thigns still seem the same.  And my trigeminal nerve pain is back with a vengance, and it tends to flare up with each sinus infection.  So I'm back on Tegretol for that and we'll see how it goes in a few days.  Thanks for checking in on me :)  And I hope to have good news that it's gone soon!

Melissa
2011 Holding steady