Author Topic: Hello. New Member Introduction  (Read 9251 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Hello. New Member Introduction
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:49 am »
Jan,

Point taken.. I couldn't remember (and too lazy to search for it) the size or if it was ever said.  Yes, that size would classify it was medium, and might hasten my decision to act if I had perfect hearing at the time.  What if it takes a growth spurt and doubles in size over the next month or so?  All of a sudden, you're up to the "large" category and who knows what cranial nerves might be affected by that let alone the brain stem..

The number we always hear is that AN's grow typically 1-2mm per year.. But, that's an average growth..  Many don't grow at all or very little and others take growth spurts..  Who feels like playing the lottery?  ;)

It's always fun confusing Jan, though, I must admit..  hehe  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 07:48:17 am »
It's always fun confusing Jan, though, I must admit..  hehe  ;)

Oh, sure!  Pick on me  :(  ;)  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »
Jan,

23!

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:28 pm »
 ???
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:55 pm »
See what I mean?  Wee!!

{Hijack over}

Regards,
Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:48 pm »
Smart a**!   ;D

Sorry, Phyl for the hijack - and bad language.  I just couldn't let this one go!

Hijack truly over.

Jan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:57:20 am by ppearl214 »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 07:57:59 am »
Smart a**!   ;D

Sorry, Phyl for the hijack - and bad language.  I just couldn't let this one go!

Hijack truly over.

Jan

ahem you 2!!!!!!!!  Back on topic!  *cracks whip*

:)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 11:50:07 am »

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »
Ok Phyl, takes a sensible Aussie to get back on track! (anyone seen a sensible Aussie?)

CF, don't use the stats given to you by these surgeons as gospel. They will be quoting generic stats. If you are going to rely on stats as a measure, ask the specific surgeon who you would have as to what are his stats. More importantly his stats on his patients 3 years post op.

To preserve your hearing - go with one of the radiation forms. You have a much better chance that way and not an invasive procedure like surgery is.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

CF

Re: Hello. Surgery date set
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 11:53:33 am »
FYI: My 48 hrs of apparent indecisiveness, procrastination, or deliberation (whatever semantic description works for you  ;))  are over. My decision has been made and I'm going for the gold, ie., the operation .... sooner rather than later. You can know this is final cuz I told my wife  :D.

Three factors pushed me over the hump:

1. Driving home last night was practically the drive from hell. Maybe cuz it was late, maybe cuz I cried the first 4 minutes or so into the drive (and this swelled my brain), or maybe cuz it was dark out. I felt like I needed to pull over to get a grip. I felt fearful. I felt like my imbalance issues had just gotten worse (and therefore the key premise of my proposed "watch and wait" had been proven wrong .... despite Dr. Radiaion's firm advisement it would not get worse. A little ticked, a little worried he will be the "assistant doc" on surgery team, but glad he was wrong because his assertion contributed towards the trigger for my decision.

2. My wife told me she felt more comfortable having a small tumor removed, rather than a larger one.

3. Oh and of course based on the general consensus of all those who shared their opinions. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Now just waiting for the scheduler to call me back.

Hey just an update my date is set for 2/11 *gulp*

;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:17 pm »
CF -

I'll add your big day to the AN Calendar.

Don't worry, I'm confident you'll do fine.

Jan