Author Topic: Interpret results from one year proton therapy Mass Gen  (Read 2251 times)

inmaine724

Interpret results from one year proton therapy Mass Gen
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:33:39 am »
Hi all!
So I don't know who remembers me, but I had my one year follow up since my Proton Radiation down at Mass Gen last winter.  I wonder if anyone can help me to interpret the results?  The Doctor said everything was good, which I'm thrilled about, but I like to know what the words mean as well. 
It says:
The previously identified left IAC Schmorl's cell tumor, treated with proton radiotherapy has involuted compared to the prior study from 2010. There remains a small amount of enhancing material and the intra-canalicular portion has decreased more in size than the extra-canalicular component.

First, what is Schmorl's cell mean?  And the rest?  Anyone? 

Hope everyone is doing well!

:-)   Danielle
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Interpret results from one year proton therapy Mass Gen
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:59:20 pm »
Hi,  Danielle ~

I'm delighted to learn that your 1-year MRI follow-up came back with good news.  However, the words in the report are a bit confusing.  The medical dictionary seems to indicate that a 'Schmorl's cell tumor' is more of a node and appears in the vertebra, not the IAC.  However, they are benign and usually have no symptoms so I wouldn't be concerned (your doctor wasn't). 

'Involuted' means it's gotten smaller since your last MRI (2010).  The phrase: 'enhancing material (likely meaning the remaining tumor) has decreased' is a good thing (its gotten smaller). 

Please understand that I'm not a doctor and this MRI report is a bit confusing to me, too, which is why I suggest that you not allow yourself to get too wrapped up in trying to understand the radiologist's jargon - which can give you a headache.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.