Author Topic: To the ER -Hydrocephalus  (Read 6597 times)

teripo

To the ER -Hydrocephalus
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:36 am »
I had an event Friday night that caused numbness in my left arm leg and face.I am W/W for 5 years and was stable up until 2 months ago.That was when ENT just prescribed the steroids for my hearing loss.She said even tho its the same size it may have increased in volume cause the hearing was worse than last year.
Now I went to the ER Saturday and the dr there said I have hydrocephalus.It must have just happened.But they put me on blood pressure meds.and said go see Nuerologist to treat the tumor.Is this common for this to happen?

areles

Re: To the ER -Hydrocephalus
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:46:24 pm »
my understanding is that hydrocephalus is a risk of ANs.

i'm alarmed - are you saying you've already been diagnosed with an AN (what size? do you have an MRI?) and that an ENT has merely recommended you treat the hearing loss itself with steroids, rather than refer you out to a neurotologist?  i hope that's not what you're saying.

based on the fact that you've developed hydrocephalus, i would urge you to indeed consult with a neuro, as that would indicate your tumor is quite large, indeed.

where are you located?

edit:  i went through your history; it's very odd to me that you'd be in WW status with an AN over 1cm.  and it sounds like an ENT is directing your care, which - again - i hope is not the case.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:48:16 pm by areles »
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

teripo

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:09:51 pm »
my An is 1.8 stale r 5 years.But now ENT just told me I have Hydrocheplas.I am panicking.I am in Long Island ny.I just had an MRI 2 months ago and wasnt aware of this.I am looking up treatment and it is a shunt!For the rest of my life!?OMG

areles

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »
have you ever had a neurotologist review any of your MRIs? 

you can find recommended physicians in NY below.  also, you can send your MRI to house or keck for free phone consult... which i'd recommend you do.

https://www.anausa.org/resources/medical-resources/physicians-directory/47-menu-articles/9/418-physician-directory-by-state

22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

teripo

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:23:25 pm »
Oh thank you for talking with me.I am so sorry to bother you still in the hospital.I have been to nuerosurgeons dont know when tho.Probably when I first was diagnosed.I had sent my report to Golfinos 2 months ago but canceled the appt.Ihad wanted him to compare my reports.

rupert

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:07:35 pm »
Did they treat you for the hydrocephalus?  They would have taken an image and put a shunt in as it's a very serious issue.  I don't believe blood pressure meds would be protocol for hydrocephalus.

teripo

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:56:56 pm »
No I am going to a nuerosurgeon.So your saying I need a shunt?

teripo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:13 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.I am going to nuerosurgeon tomm morning for a consult on this hydrocephlus.My AN is 1.8cm  stable since 2011.Now Im having symtoms.The Dr. AN support recommended doesnt do hydrocehpalus anymore he would send me to someone who does.I am disappointed about that.He came highly reccommeded.I would need someone that is highly regarded with what I have.Any info would be great!

teripo

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:59:01 pm »
is there anyone who had hydrocepalus from their AN BEFORE treatment??? Or knows anyone? I am in W/W with 1.8 cm stable AN.

vicenza2010

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »
I had a small neuroma about your size. I tried first with Cyber-knife  in the 2010 it but it did not work.
After a year after the cyber-knife a hydrocephalus occurred.
They told me that some neuromas secrete proteins which interfere with liquor.
The hydrocephalus is called aresorptive hydrocephalus.
I had a shunt inserted but the neuroma was still growing so in the 2013 I had a surgery to remove the neuroma.
The shunt could not be removed and I must keep it.
I hope my background will help to choose your way.
June  2010  neuroma 23x16x11mm
Oct.   2010 cyberknife
Sept. 2011 aresorptive hydrocephalus
Oct.   2011 shunt installed
Nov.  2012 neuroma is growing 21x18x21mm
Febr. 2013 rectosigmoid surgery,
post surgery SSD, HB 4, staphylococcus aureus infection