Author Topic: facial numbness  (Read 3404 times)

thedales7

facial numbness
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:06:22 am »
Hi Everyone!  I am a fellow watch-and-waiter!! yay!!  I am starting to experience some numbness in the cheek area surrounding my AN ear.  I noticed it when I happened to be touching the side of my face and started scratching at some sort of bump and realized my skin was numb just like I had a novacaine injection.  I had to stop myself from scratching because I think I would have torn up my face since I couldn't feel it!! Has anyone experienced this and should I tell my doc?  I don't have another appt. with him for another 3 months.
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
60% low and mid frequency hearing loss
Watch and wait

Pam Fraley

Re: facial numbness
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:58 pm »
I have not had this kind of numbness but I will say "Yes" you need to notify your doctor  because your an may be starting to involve your facial nerve.  I suggest calling him asap to get his opinion on the situation.
6mmx4mm a/n (left IAC)
8-9mm meningioma (right cavernous sinus)
Diagnosed 2/5/2013 MRI
Wait & Watch -  Dr. Arts, University of Michigan
MRI scheduled for 10/22/2013
No change, continue w&w, repeat MRI in 6months

redshieldrob

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
Yes...like you I had experienced facial numbness.  In fact my entire right side of my head became numb.  Feeling in your face is controlled by... I believe the Trigeminal Nerve.... and not the facial nerve.  The facial nerve everyone speaks about is the nerve that controls movement not sensory information in the face.  My tumor was almost 4 cm.  I had it removed at HEI on 11/12/13.  Everything went well....no problems.  I'm so pleased and blessed.  I hope this helps.

Take Care and best of luck.
4 cm AN diagnosed 7/26/2013.  Trans Lab surgery 11/12/13 at HEI.  Slattery/Schwartz Surgical Team.

thedales7

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:02:17 pm »
Thank you so much for your responses! I called my doc and have an appt today. We'll see what he says!!
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
Watch and wait

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:54:51 pm »
Yup get to the doctor, this was one of the last symptoms I developed just before diagnosis.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

thedales7

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:23:30 am »
I thought I would give a little update.  I did have a new MRI.  First of all, I mentioned before that my Neurotologist is the only one to identify my AN on MRI.  I have had over 9 doctors and radiologist view my MRI before seeing Neurotologist and no one saw it.  That being said, I went to the same imaging center where I had my last mri and this time my orders specifically stated acoustic neuroma...would you believe the radiologist still didn't acknowledge it?!!!  I don't get it.  I see it clearly!  I guess because it is in my cochlea, no one is looking there?  Anyway, according to my Neurotolgist, there is no change in tumor size.  I had a follow up with my regular Neurologist and he did an exam and I actually have numbness on the whole right side (AN side) of my scalp and down my neck a little.  I really don't know what to make of it all.  He says it could be viral.  Meanwhile my hearing and pulsatile tinnitus has gotten much worse , I continue to wear and earplug 24/7 due to the strange echoing and amplification and my numbness is still there.  I'm so frustrated!!
Watch and wait