Author Topic: Frequency of MRI  (Read 3591 times)

TOM

Frequency of MRI
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »
Doctor recommend MRI once a year for wait and watch. Is anybody having MRI every six months.

Is anybody aware of any risk in having MRI frequntly.

Thanks for all the answers.

Mickey

Re: Frequency of MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:26 am »
After the determination of stability in my AN I was advised to go once a year. I was told of no ill affects with this. Going on third year now in AUG. with no change in duration of MRI times unless some symtomatic problem intervines. Good Luck, Mickey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:31 am »
Tom .....

I am not a trained medical professional, but to my knowledge the risks are minimal for MRIs, except for the possibility of an allergic reaction to the gadolinium dye.  Bigger issue probably is insurance coverage for an MRI in less than a year unless you have a change in your symptoms.  MRIs are very expensive and since ANs are typically slow-growing, insurance companies do not like to pay for them more frequently than is really necessary.

You should be fine to wait a year.  However, if your symptoms change significantly it would certainly be time to alert your doctor and have another MRI early.

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
Once you get past the first two MRI six months apart I was told if no growth you can then go to once a year.  The key is to make sure that there is not growth of the AN.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:55:35 am »
Tom -

I'm not a medical person either, but if you are having gadolinium with your MRIs, make sure you have your blood tested first.

These days most docs order a BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine prior to an MRI with gadolinium to make sure your kidneys are functioning properly.

Although it's usually not a problem for most people, research has shown that gadolinium can contribute to kidney problems so it's something that the docs monitor now.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cdove

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:18 am »
Hi all,
Starting 9 years ago at diagnosis, I did MRIs every six months for 18 months, then annually for 24 months and now am doing them every 3 years. All on doctor's advice. Of course, mine is small and stable, so it all adds up. If it grows one of these days, I will go back to more frequent scans. Every case is different, so consult your MD.

Best,
Chris
5-7mm Right Side AN diagnosed 5/2001
Stable with little change
Proud member of W&W ever since