Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408868 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1770 on: August 11, 2011, 08:43:18 pm »
OK, I'm dying to see the movie The Help.  Several of us read the book about a year ago.  Has anyone seen it yet?  We are traveling on vacation so probably will not have a chance to see it until we get back home next week.  Hope it is still in the theater then.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1771 on: August 13, 2011, 10:30:03 pm »
Waiting to see The Help too ... don't know if it will make it to the little theater our small college runs or not ... if it doesn't I guess I will be waiting for DVD ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1772 on: August 14, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »
I saw the movie a couple of days ago.  I really enjoyed seeing the characters come to life on the screen.  The book was difficult for me to read because I knew too many women like those in the book who were so bigoted, but the movie took the angry edge off and replaced it with a healthy slug of humor. :) There are still moments that tug at your heart and bring tears to your eyes...at least MY eyes got teary!

Priscilla
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:41:23 pm by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Wwoodian

« Reply #1773 on: August 18, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »
If you have not read the book "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, I highly recommend it!  It is kind of a slow start, but an amazing true story of survival.  Something most of us can relate to in some fashion!  An excellent read.
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1774 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:36 am »
A friend of mine told me about Unbroken and she highly recommended it.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it's on my list.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #1775 on: August 19, 2011, 07:26:19 am »
FINALLY, we are going to see The Help tomorrow!!  I am SO excited.  We are taking Addi with us - I figure it will get us into some good discussions!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #1776 on: August 19, 2011, 10:31:48 am »
I'm going to skip reading The Help and instead just see the movie. I couldn't get through the sample on my Kindle :o
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #1777 on: August 19, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »
This is a cool idea! I am (or was) a voracious reader. I haven't done much reading since my AN removal in May, but I'm anxious to begin reading again. I'm definitely going to start with the book Unbroken. And I will post any other book recommendations here!
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Soundy

« Reply #1778 on: August 19, 2011, 08:28:14 pm »
reading an old book someone put on the book shelf at school in break room ... Jubilee Trail written in 1950 ... it is so funny the way they talk about things without saying them ... a woman who was orphaned at 13 and took care of herself by becoming an actress then later a showgirl in New York is accused of murder and flees to New Orleans to live ... she changes her name and works in dance hall ... prim and proper New Yorker falls in love with a man who can take her away from her dreary life and allow her to learn about the world where she is suppose to sit looking pretty and not showing a brain ... the show girls saves her from a group of rowdies when the husband steps out .... and later the prim and proper saves the show girl from bounty hunters sent to find her and take her to New York to take the wrap for murder their boss committed ...her husband helps her save the girl ...this is a fair as I have gotten  ... the proper lady and her husband are off to California before it was a state ... set in 1844 ... I kinda figure that the painted lady will join them instead of disappearing in to obscurity which is what they are currently arranging

they never give details ... there is alot of giggling about things and the show girls is called a strumpet and at one time the good girl asks her husband if the show girl did "those things" and leaves "those things" to your imagination ... it is so antiquated that it is a comedy instead of the risqué novel it was intended to be with all the naughty stuff that you have to imagine but is not written...

I needed light reading  ;D ... the spine is crumbling ... I hope it holds together long enough to finish ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #1779 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »
The last books I ordered from amazon were sci-fi. Afraid I'm a sci-fi nut. Sci-fi and science. I've read all of Carl Sagan's books, like Pale Blue Dot. I recently read three sci-fi books by Jeffrey A. Carver before I went into the hospital (Dragons in the Stars, Panglor, and Seas of Ernathe). Then I ordered a non-fiction book called The Elegant Universe, which I didn't have a chance to finish. I don't know if I'm ready for such a serious book, so I might just read something light for now. If anybody else is interested in sci-fi, I'd love to swap book suggestions!
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1780 on: August 19, 2011, 09:41:32 pm »
I read Unbroken.  Laura Hildebrand did the same exhaustive research for this book that she did for Seabiscuit.  It was an incredible, horrific story, but one that shows the triumph of the human spirit.  Louie was and is an amazing person.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Soundy

« Reply #1781 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:46 am »
my book had questionable lady leave and go off in pursuit of a safe place to hide ...the main characters continued on their journey to California and have endured all kinds of trail hardships to this point  ... they are only half way there ... I haven't read any of it in several days ... I guess I need to read them on their way so they aren't stuck in the middle of no where ...  :)

Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1782 on: September 01, 2011, 11:25:47 am »
OK...I typed this all out once already (on my phone) but guess it didn't post!! Try again...

So I have a request...I'd like to see if everyone (or someone) will read a book so we can discuss it like we used to...there's even book club questions at the back & I think it has some good ones. I will say up front, that it is very selfish of me to ask this. This is a book that has become very near & dear to my heart. The girl that I spoke to her neuro class at U of H was insistent that I read it.  Although I didn't have the exact condition of Sarah in the book, I can greatly identify with her.  She & I are so much alike it's scary - from what she went thru to attitude & even word choices. I think that this group would understand more than anyone...I also think it is a well written book - if I'm not too biased by material...It is called LEFT NEGLECT & I can't tell you the author right now because it's up in the room & I'm laying on the beach!!

So, who is in?

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

HeidiC

« Reply #1783 on: September 01, 2011, 11:46:15 am »
I looked it up for you since you are lucky enough to be on the beach!  Is it Left Neglected by Lisa Genova?

It sounds interesting, I am having my surgery in about a month but even if I can't participate in the book club I think I will add it to my list. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:51:05 am by HeidiC »
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Brewers7

« Reply #1784 on: September 01, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »
Kaybo,
     I'm in.  How does this work?  I am new to this thread but an avid reader and former English teacher.
Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010