Author Topic: Losing our insurance  (Read 20522 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Losing our insurance
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 11:14:58 pm »
Wow, who would have guessed that somebody on here has been to Punta del Este, a place I knew nothing about until I saw it on television.  Now really, folks, I am not going to move to S. America!!  At least not yet!  :)   However, I put it on my list of vacation spots to see when I win the lottery.   Hopefully we will be able to stay in our home, but like Brendalu, things happen and change and it could all end in an instant.  My heart goes out to you Brenda.  I'm so sorry you are having such difficulty.  I, too, have had to put things off.  It was time for my MRI in August and I told them I couldn't do it then, because our insurance has changed.  Our deductible is so high, we'd have to pay for the whole thing.  The gal on the phone was incredulous....but THIS is your BRAIN, she said.  I said, well, I can't pay for it, I don't care if it's my brain or not.  So I get a letter from the doctor advising me to get in there for the MRI, but not telling me how to pay for it.  I talked to the financial office and there are options, so maybe we can work something out soon. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 09:57:19 am »
Thank you, Sue.  We have decided to do a deed in lieu.  It will affect our credit the least, but trying to find an affordable place to rent is not an easy task.  We have a three room tent that is looking mighty good right about now.  I told my kids, one of whom, has three kids to support and also lost her job, that we are all going to pretend that we aren't going to be in our homes much past the new year, and we are gonna have an old fashioned Christmas that is full of love and not gifts.  We are each giving something we cherish (that we have owned for a long time, be it a piece of jewelry or a picture)and also giving each person, in writing our favorite memory.  I think it sounds like a wonderful gift.
We did get a Christmas Miracle in the form of Chris, who had a stroke while having brain surgery for an aneurysm.  All of the prayers from all of you have caused what all of the doctors agree is a true miracle.  Chris will be going home on Tuesday of next week.  He will have six months of out patient therapy, but the doctors really feel he will be back one hundred per cent in less than six weeks!  This is a man who wasn't give even an even chance of surviving the surgery.  Now who wants to tell me prayers don't work?  I will never, ever believe that!!
Sue, I hope things work out for you to be able to have your MRI.  I was lucky, I had mine just before I no longer had insurance.  The deductibles for Medicare are too high to be able to afford anymore and with the meds that I take I reach the cap on mine in March and then they expect me to pay 100% until I have paid $4300............ I wonder who comes up with the affordability factor on all of this?  I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:16 am »
Brenda .....

we are all going to pretend that we aren't going to be in our homes much past the new year, and we are gonna have an old fashioned Christmas that is full of love and not gifts.  We are each giving something we cherish (that we have owned for a long time, be it a piece of jewelry or a picture)and also giving each person, in writing our favorite memory.  I think it sounds like a wonderful gift.

What a beautiful idea for all of us!  My husband and I have reached that tender age where we are trying to eliminate buying or receiving more unneeded "stuff."  ...... but family heirlooms or memories remain very important to us.  Have to suggest this for next year.

So glad Chris is doing so well.  What a special Christmas present that is!!

Thoughts and prayers for answers and solutions to your economic woes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
Thank you, Clarice!  I hope you and your family have a very Wonderful Christmas!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 05:53:25 pm »
We may have to bring back the "commune" idea and just start up our own AN Village. 

Great Christmas idea, Brendalu.  Very touching.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 07:07:38 pm »
Brenda,

I think you and your family are really celebrating the "TRUE" meaning of Christmas.  Just delighted to hear Chris is being sprung from the 5 Star hotel he has been visiting.  Christmas miracles do happen and Chris is one.  Thank God and may He continue to bless you and yours.

Anne Marie

PS Sue I like the AN Village and I would like an ocean view please. 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games