Author Topic: Anastomosis- Tell me  (Read 4480 times)

chrissmom

Anastomosis- Tell me
« on: August 05, 2006, 08:03:34 pm »
Hi All...

I'm waiting to see how Denise makes out with her surgery.  I need to know more.  Chris is scheduled to have it in 1 month.  The doctors said that he will lose the taste on that side and that he will learn to control the area with his tongue.  I don't  understand..can anyone explain their experiences to me?

P.S.  Chris is doing great with his rehab. He almost walks on his own.  He is eating great and is getting stronger everyday.

Obita

Re: Anastomosis- Tell me
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 08:22:20 pm »
From what I understand they re-route a nerve from the tongue to the face so when you move your tongue your face moves like for a smile etc....

I know there are quite a few people on here that have had it done.  I'm sure you will get some replies.  It is very common if there is facial paralysis.

So glad Chris is doing well.   Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

cajungrl37

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 11:06:58 pm »
my facial surgery was a year ago this month.  Within five months after my surgery, I had noticed some movement on my left side.  They take a nerve from the tongue and "rewire" (which is how it was explained to me), to another nerve.  So, I kind of have a half smile, butwhen I move my tongue up to my palate, I get more pull on that side.  It's almost second nature to me now, sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing that.  I was also told that it would take 1-2 years, before I would have complete tone, all depends on how fast that nerve travels to where it has to go (again, from what my doctors explained to me).  I have gotten great results with the anastomosis surgery.  I never lost any taste on my surgery side.  I had my surgery done three months after my AN removal. 

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I will do my best and answer them.

Leah
4 cm - left
Removed May 9, 2005
hypoglossal facial anastomosis - Aug. 2005
Ochsner Hospital - New Orleans

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:36:10 pm »
I had the 7-12 done, I do not chew on that side and although apparently I can't taste on that side I don't notice anything different. When I want that side of my face to move (ie to smile for a photo) I move my tongue to the roof of my mouth etc. I have never really got much "use" out of using this for other things on purpose and I can say how/what it does all on it's own. My surgeon explained it to be a "babysitter" for the non-functioning facial nerve and help with tone to the area.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

cush

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:24:13 pm »
I am going to see my doctor next week to have a emg , he wants to do anastomosis surgery on me.
Will I loose my toungue control and have difficulty swallowing?
Will I be able to smile?
Will it make my right ear blink?
I feel concerned about having another surgery, and what the consequences will be.

Its been 13 months since my trans lab AN was done and My face has really shown little change.

chrissmom

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 06:32:27 pm »
I got the impression that it would be an out-patient procedure.  He would make a little incision in front of the ear. Apparently, younger people have "tone" but he is lacking some function.  His facial nerve is intact but is stretched very thin due to the size of the tumor.  I understand that this will compensate for the droopy mouth.  All in all, Chris seems to be handling everything pretty well.

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 06:54:34 pm »
The procedure can be done as a out patient or a overnighter if the patient lives in the boondocks like we do.  Chet had 2 incisions. One involving the area of the ear, the second in the neck area.  The scars are minimal, blending  in with the neck folds.  Painwise, wasn't much, the hard part for him was the waiting to for the results. 

Since most outcomes are more positive these days, fewer  nerve jumps are being done.  When Chet had his done we had a very crowed or room due to the guest doctors that wanted to watch the procedure.

One thing the Doctor did mention regarding the ear (in Chet's procedure the ear was partial removed and put back)  absoulutely no visiable scars, but less sensation and feeling to the outer ear.  In cold weather it's important to wear hats or other covering to protect against frost.

Thinking of all of you.
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 06:45:11 am »
Chrismom,

My 12/7 surgery took three hours and I was in the hospital overnight.  I had a lot of swelling, but according to the drs. this is normal.  The inciision was larger than I expected but the stitches were so small. In time you should not be able to see it.  At this point my tongue is still swollen so I am unable to move it and make anything move.  I have a small mouth, although my friends would say I have a big mouth, ha ha! :P  Anyway. my dr. told me it could take up to 6 months before I get results. But i have been getting sensations for the last week, and hope its the nerves refiring.  I go back for a  check up on 9/12, so hopefully by then something will be happening.   

Please let me know how Chris is doing. 
Denise 8)

amymeri

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 02:33:40 pm »
Hi Chrissmom

am interested in hearing why they have chosen to do the surgery/anastomosis so soon when the nerve is still intact?  I could understand if the nerve was severed, but is there no hope the nerve will repair itself?

One idea is to go to bellspalsy.ws and look under  treatments...they give some information about the procedure.

http://www.bellspalsy.ws/surgery.htm

And also about neuromuscular retraining after paralysis

I, too, am excited to hear about Denise's experience as I have a friend about to undergo the surgery~
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

chrissmom

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 01:28:28 pm »
The nerve was stretched too thin.  The doctor says that the sooner you do it, the smaller the graft needs to be.