Author Topic: radiation question  (Read 2608 times)

tenai98

radiation question
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »
Can an AN be radiated mor then once if it fails the first time???
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: radiation question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:23:25 pm »
That is a very good question.  I think I am headed for radiation, I will know in March.  So if anyone has an answer it would be great.

TJ

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »
It can...depending on its size and your age.   I've heard of older patients 50+ having a second radiation treatment. 

Younger patients normally go through a "de-bulking" of the tumor and have the remains radiated.  The later is my plan if I ever have to go that route.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:14 am »
Can an AN be radiated mor then once if it fails the first time???
JO

Hi Jo

Per Dr Medbery on the CK Patient support website (will have to find the thread).... yes, when done with CK (not sure about other modes of radio-treatments).  It's one of the exact reasons I chose it (radio via CK).

Due to overall success rates of radio treatments (as a whole) on AN's, typically, it does not have to be redone and the numbers are low for a "re-do" since many find success upon first treatments (we do know of some here that had radio-treatments that did not work out, but overall success rate % is high).

As Gary notes, yes, there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration for a "re-do" but per Dr Medbery, esp if CK is used, the answer is yes.

Hope that helps! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"