Author Topic: 6 mo. MRI after SBI surgery  (Read 2539 times)

boomer

6 mo. MRI after SBI surgery
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:36:24 pm »
I haven't been on here for awhile only because I'm up and going nearly full strength and just don't think about checking this board lately.  My 6 mo MRI was great!  The whole AN is gone with no regrowth and looks good.  I will have my next MRI in  1 year to follow up.  I went back to work 3 weeks after surgery part time and the 4th week full time and drove myself.  I am on office manager so there is no heavy work involved.  Once in a while I'm just feel a little off balance for a second or two then it goes away.
Just for the record I'm 62 which makes healing a little slower.  I was practically deaf before surgery so the hearing loss was no supprise.  I'm just still getting used to have hearing on only one side.
It is amazing how difficult it is locating where the sound is coming from.  The only complaint I have with SBI and the hospital is dealing with out of state insurance. The doctor and surgery were first class in my book.  I'm glad I went there & people who know me have told me if they ever have an AN they will go there after seeing my recovery.

Boomer

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 6 mo. MRI after SBI surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:42:16 pm »
Boomer -

thanks for the update.  It's always great to hear from a SBI alumnae since many of us don't know a whole lot about SBI or Dr. Shananian (did I spell that right?)

I'm glad things are going so well for you and I'm looking forward to your 1 year update.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chopper

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:03:56 am »
It is amazing how difficult it is locating where the sound is coming from. 

Noooooo kidding. 
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

moe

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:48 am »
Yes the SSD can start to cause increase fatigue as I've noticed through the years. A lot of emotional energy going into figuring out where sounds are coming from.
Would your insurance cover the BAHA-bone anchored hearing apparatus.
Worth looking into since you are still working and doing great!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:02:45 pm »
Hey, Boomer ~

Thanks for the great update!  It's always encouraging to read these kinds of AN surgery success stories.  Your case is an excellent testimonial for SBI and endoscopic AN removal surgery.  Obviously, SBI was the best choice for you.  May all your future MRI scans continue to show you as AN-free!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.