Author Topic: a question - is AN a form of cancer?  (Read 3639 times)

carter

a question - is AN a form of cancer?
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:10 am »
i have known about my AN for about 3 weeks now.  i have been trying to read and learn.  today as i typed in AN under Google a web site read something like "AN - a form of cancer"

i backed out without reading the site as this is something that i had never thought about in all of my 3 weeks of experience.  i have had the AN referred to as a growth, a tumor, and i have referred to it by some very bad words / thoughts.  i know that it is non malignant.   but i had never thougth of having cancer.....just an AN tumor.

my wife has had breast cancer and i learned to hate and fear the word.

i know that i am beign overly sensitive right now????  but is an AN a cancer?  i know it is semantics, but this is the first time as i thought of the AN in this way.

don't let the little bast__d win!
carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Kaybo

Re: a question - is AN a form of cancer?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:25:33 am »
Carter~
I'm sure that others will have much better answers, but I have NEVER (in 13 years) thought of it or heard anyone refer to it as "cancer"...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45:01 am »
Carter-

I think you may have stumbled on one of the less-than-credible websites that are out there.  AN's are tumors, but they are not cancerous.  I do recall seeing a reference like the one you mention at some point, but felt that it was a very questionable website not written or approved by any medical professionals.  I think one the reasons some docs don't want their patients surfing the web for info is that so much of the info our there is pure opinion rather than scientific or validated fact.  That being said, I am one who believes in educating myself and in being very involved in my treatment options.  Just be careful to check the sources of what you are reading.  Don't lose sleep over this one, Carter!   ;)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:48:45 am »
Carter,
  I agree with Kaybo, AN is not considered a cancer.  Cancer has much higher growth rates, and can metastasize (spread) to other areas of the body.  AN is very slow growing compared to a maglignant cancerous tumor. AN growth rate is usually quoted as averaging about 2mm per year.  And some AN patients exhibit no growth of their AN for some period of time.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 01:19:09 pm »
NO

It's not cancer!  It's a non-malignant tumor.  Still an ugly word, tumor, but it's not cancerous.  It is not the best thing to have growing inside one's head, but it's not cancerous.  It can cause a lot of trouble and has to be treated somewhere down the line, but it is not cancerous!!   ;D ;D ;D

I got some kind of survey to fill out after my GK about my "cancer".  I sent it back and wrote in big letters I DID NOT HAVE CANCER! 

But just because it's benign, does not mean it's friendly.  It may irritate you to death, but it won't kill you by being cancerous. 

Well, glad I got THAT off my chest!  ;) :D

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

carter

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:38:51 pm »
thanks for the replies --- my mind is still mush for the present

don't let the little basta__d win!
carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:59:20 pm »
Carter:

Ah, the fallacy of ill-informed internet websites strikes again! 

I think you have your answer but for what it may be worth, I'm pretty confident that any doctor - especially an oncologist - would agree that an acoustic neuroma is definitely not a cancer.   It is a tumor (uncontrolled growth) but it does not metastasize or invade other tissues, which is why it is called 'benign'.   I believe that anyone calling an acoustic neuroma a 'cancer' is misinformed, to be polite about it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:35:37 pm »
Carter,
I know it's been said again and again, but in case you can't hear it too many times -- an AN, while a lousy diagnosis is NOT cancer.  The site that called it a form of cancer was extremely misinformed, to be polite.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:12:07 pm »
Carter -  I'm not going to bother repeating what everyone else has said since I agree with them.

I will just say - "that little bast__d" won't win!  You are tougher than that AN!!   >:( that's my mean face getting mad at that AN!!)  Pretty scary, huh?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mk

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 05:15:18 pm »
My radiologist report refered to the AN as being "well encapsulated". This is the big difference - a cancerous tumor spreads to the surrounding tissues, whereas a benign tumor not.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:44:39 pm »
simple answer....

No! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 06:30:13 pm »
Carter -

ANs are 99.9% benign. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

calimama

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 08:01:09 pm »
INTERESTING!!

I was reading the paper (Canada's Globe and Mail, very reputable national paper) on the way home from work the other day and there was an article in there about cell phone use and cancer. Basically a bunch of researchers trying to make a connection (or not) between cell phone use and cancer.

ANYWAY...i am reading along and come across this...

"The study, which begain in earnest in 2000, is looking at four cancers that could have connection to cell phones...."
then in the next paragraph...
"They {the four} are: glioma...; meningioma...; acoustic neurinoma, a cancer found in the the inner-ear area; ..."

SO???!!? i am thinking either somebody out there has some bad info, or there is an "acoustic NEURINOMA" (note the different spelling from our ANs) that sounds like an AN, but is cancerous!  So I googled the tumor with the spelling used in the article and all i find our standard AN websites/links out there.

Anyway, i am attaching the link to the Globe article here in case anybody wants to read it for themselves...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081024.wlcellphone24/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 09:26:03 pm »
somebody out there has some bad info, or there is an "acoustic NEURINOMA"

Bad info. :)

An acoustic neurinoma is the same thing as an acoustic neuroma. Neither one is a malignant tumor.

There are a handful of ANs that have turned into malignant tumors. They may be rare enough not to have their own name, but they are a different thing altogether from an AN.

(One recent report says 8 cases, 4 of which were spontaneous, 4 of which had previously been radiated - see the article posted by Sandra: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7837.0).

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 09:31:17 am »
Eek!  NO, NOT CANCER. 
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.