Author Topic: eye drop residue  (Read 4261 times)

steph

eye drop residue
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:05:09 am »
does anyone have this problem: every night I put lacri lube in my eye and tape it down. I have been doing this for 12 months, now by eyelashes are all droppy from the residue of the lube and I have a really hard time getting the tape residue off in the morning, does anyone have a magic treatment for this? the doctor suggested alcohol and I told him there is no way I am putting alcohol near my eye, the one that does not tear. I'll try just about anything. help.

JHager

Re: eye drop residue
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:41:45 am »
Hi Steph,

Odd as it may sound, a little vegetable or olive oil may do the trick without scorching your eye.  Dab some on a cotton ball or washcloth.  Mineral oil works even better, but again, I don't think you want that near your eye.

Good luck!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 08:11:45 am »
I have tape at the lower eye lid to hold it up .. using tape the eye doc gave me (its not scotch tape), it does leave a little residue .. it does not really bother me ... I do take extra long showers in the morning, my eye likes it and clean up any residue ...

Joe

4cm removed at house
Aug9,2005
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:32:37 am »
Does your eye close or almost close when you sleep? The doc let me stop taping once my eye almost closed on command. It still does not close tight but enough to keep the lube in and my eye feels fine in the morning.

Also when I did tape, I put a cotton ball on my eyelid and taped over the cotton ball. That might help.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

prittdgoat

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 10:47:39 am »
Well, i guess i am the lucky one, i don't have to tape my eye shut.  My eye dr cut and stiched my eye.  when she removed the sutures my eye had grown together.  That was 9 months ago.  Just 3 weeks ago she cut it open half way.  Wow it sure was nice to see again!  I'm gettinng better but it sure is a long road to haul.   By the way, there is nothing worse than having numbing shots around the eye!

steph

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 07:01:40 am »
I have the gold weight but my dr. suggested still taping it down at night. It does not close on it's own and when I lay down I no longer of the benefit of gravity so the weight is not very helpful but it blinks great during the day. I will try the olive oil. thanks for the suggestions. thanks

knd

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 10:24:55 pm »
I have pinctin plugs that close up the tear ducts.  My eyes are really dry, too.  These punctin plugs are easy, take a second for the doc to put them in, and you can't feel a think.  It works great.  Very little eye drops except at night I do use lacri lube.  Was using that every day about 6 times a day.  If my eye doesn';t get better, for good, in the next six months, I will have the tear ducts closed for good.  That will make it normal again.  If your eyes are still changing, they may get better, and the clsing of the tear ducts would have to be reversed if you get too much tears.  Check with a good surgical opthalmologist.