Author Topic: Conduction Block  (Read 2357 times)

Darren

Conduction Block
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »
Hey Guys- I ran accross this site- I'm sure everyone might have seen it already with their research but if not here it is. Would be nice to know what type of damage was done-

Complications
Temporary paresis is common after tumor surgery. Recovery depends on the degree of conduction block in the nerve.
top of page | table of contents | home page 
Conduction block terminology
Mild block
Mild block occurs when there is a disturbance in the metabolic activity in the nerve axon so that nerve impulses cannot be transmitted. Recovery often begins in three weeks after surgery.
Moderate block
Moderate block occurs when the metabolic activity in the axon is severely damaged. Recovery requires regrowth of the axoplasm within the axon tube. Recovery typically begins in three months after surgery
Severe block
Severe block occurs when the axon tube degenerates before the axoplasmic growth can form a new axon. Recovery typically begins six to nine months after surgery, depending on the site of disruption of the axon tube (modification of Sunderland's classification).

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Conduction Block
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:04:43 pm »
I think it's really hard to determine the extent of injury even with testing. Here is another site I found very hellpful: http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/CranialBaseCenter/b95.htm

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13