Author Topic: Post-op travel?  (Read 2211 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Post-op travel?
« on: June 11, 2006, 11:29:47 am »
I really do realize no one can predict the future and how I'll recover from surgery!  (Gosh darnit!)  But I'm wondering about others' experience regarding travel post-op.

I have a translab surgery scheduled for Sept 2006.  I would very, very much like to take my family to spend the Christmas holidays with my sister and her family (and my parents, my brother, and his girlfriend) on the other side of the country.  I'm assuming that since many people travel for surgery, and fly home after the initial recovery period, that I should be okay to fly 3+ months after surgery.  I realize I won't be feeling 100% by then, but I'll be around lots of supportive family and won't have to do very much. 

Am I being naive, or is it reasonable to think I could do this?  Assuming no complications, of course...

Thanks!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jeanlea

Re: Post-op travel?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
Katie,

Good luck with your surgery in September.  I had surgery last September and flew to Florida in February.  It went fine.  I'm sure it would have been fine at 3 months also.  It is frustrating not knowing what you will be dealing with after surgery.  That was the hardest part for me.  Hope you have fun with your travels after your surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

DeniseSmith

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 06:59:23 am »
I had surgery May 2005. I traveled by plane to Indianapolis Sept. 2005, to Tennessee Nov. 2005 and Las Vegas, Feb 2006.  I had no problems with the actual flights. 

I checked my luggage, and only had a small carry on, so I would have no issues walking through the airport. My only problem was walking down the ramp to the plane.  The incline really threw off my balance, other than that no problems.

Denise

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 05:51:12 pm »
Thanks, all, for the replies.  I'm going on the assumption that I'll be up to traveling for the holidays, though I may ask my mom to fly with us so my husband doesn't get stuck with both kids by himself if I'm not in top form!   :)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

DeniseSmith

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:13:14 am »
Kbonner,

Good luck on your trip.   I flew alone, except for the trip to TN, my 13 yr old was with me. 

Denise

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 12:48:03 pm »
I am 2 months post-op right now and yesterday drove the Land Yacht (our permanent home, we full-time RV) for six hours.  It was the first trip since AN removal, but it went fine.  I'm a little ragged today, but no adverse effects.  Concentration was normal and motor skills were spot on, so no worrys mate!  You should have no problem planning a Christmas (holiday) trip after your surgery.  Your AN is a little larger than mine but shouldn't cause you any more significant after effects (Good Lord willing).  I know a lot of AN patients who are back at work 2 months after surgery (they shouldn't, it usually would take a little longer to regain the strength to work), but they do it. 

Be positive, make your plans, and then go for it.  Good Luck!
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 05:19:17 pm »
Hi Katie,

Different situation but we are in the same... plane.

2 mos post radiation here and I know the tumor is swelling before it implodes (necrosis).  I am to fly to London and France this September. The swelling of the tumor is my concern and wondering if the air pressure of a 6-7 hr flight is going to bother me.  So, if any radio-folks see this and can chime in, would love to know their thoughts as well (hope you don't mind me asking as well).

As for you and your travels (you're going to leave New England during the holidays? Can't say I blame you for leaving the cold and snow and blech here!), flying (from my understanding) should be fine. Also, I don't hesitate to ask for wheel chair assistance at the airport as walking through many airports, with my balance (as well as the Chiari 1 Malformation) throws me off kilter. The airlines are more than happy to assist with wheelchairs and I have to say... also gets you through the security check points faster! No lines! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"