Author Topic: Infection  (Read 2772 times)

brownwhite

Infection
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
Did anyone get an infection after surgery?  Did you have to have a second surgery to cut away the infection?  Do you suffer from headaches and pain along the surgical site?  What is you remedy for headaches?  do you have facial pain?

SDTom

Re: Infection
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:45:06 am »
Hi,e
I had meningitis after my first surgery. Basically I went from feeling ok to not being able to walk easily and feeling like I was really sick. I was treated with some heavy duty antibiotics and a hospital stay. I'm convinced the meningitis caused my right side ataxia and other problems. As far as headaches I really don't have any first hand experience.

If you suspect your are sick I would see a Dr. as soon as possible. This is something you don't want to fool around with.
Tom
June 2011 3.8 cm tumor debulked.
July 2011 Hydrocephalus, Meningitis.
August 2011 shunt installed.
Sept 2011 28 rounds of radiation.
Things kept getting worse
March 2012 tumor removal at Mayo clinic

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:16:27 am »
Please see your doctor if you even suspect an infection.  I had CSF leakage followed by MRSA.  Multiple surgeries with intensive, very strong antibiotics; but that should not be necessary for a simple infection that is caught early and treated.  No real headaches or facial pain.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

brownwhite

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:07:06 am »
Thank you for your replies!   I understand that each person is different with different things to deal with from the surgery.  It helps to read how others are handling problems due to surgery.
Thanks again!

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:50 pm »
I had an infection 18 months post surgery, I guess it had been brewing since surgery but the germs were a very slow growing germ.  My incision felt like it had rug burn and started to drain. I actually had a titanium screw the size of an eyeglass screw come out of my head while I was washing my hair one day! They had to go in and remove the metal plate they had placed in there and I had a PICC line and received antibiotics at home for a month. I did not experience headaches with the infection. 
Good luck and Be well.
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK