Author Topic: SALTY TASTE IN MOUTH....CSF LEAK? TONGUE FEELS FROZEN COLD & OTHER MYSTERIES.  (Read 4892 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

I STARTED HAVING SEVERE HEADACHE AND LOTS OF SALTY FLUID GOING DOWN THE BACK OF MY THROAT. THEY HAD ME GO DIRECTLY TO THE HOSPITAL FOR FEAR OF CSF LEAK. I AM 8 MONTHS POST OP. THEY DID A CT SCAN AND WILL GET RESULTS TODAY. THEY SAID IF IT IS NOT A LEAK THEN IT WOULD BE THAT MY FACIAL NERVE IS PRODUCING TEARS AND LOTS OF THEM AND IT IS GOING DOWN MY NOSE/THROAT. THEY ARE IN OVERDRIVE AND THE DOCTOR SAID IT CAN DO THIS DURING RECOVERY. IT TASTE TERRIBLE AND HAS RUINED MY APPETITE. HE DID SAY THAT WE ALL HAVE TO BE IN TUNE TO THIS BECAUSE A SEVERE HEADACHE THAT IS WORSE WHEN SITTING UP BUT GETS BETTER WHEN LAYING DOWN AND SALTY DRAINAGE FROM THE MOUTH OR FLUID FROM THE EAR OR INCISION SITE CAN BE A CSF LEAK AND MUST BE REPAIRED. ALSO MY TONGUE HAS FELT FROZEN SINCE SURGERY. I HAVE PARALYSIS. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS? WONDER WHAT IT IS? I DRINK HOT TEA TO THAW IT OUT. ALSO. I WAS TOLD THAT IF THEY EYE/BLINK DOESN'T RETURN MY 6 MONTHS THEN IT WON'T. IS THIS TRUE?

Kaybo

CrookedSmile~
I have used those exact words to describe my tongue (& "heavy" or "thick"), but I really think all of that is a result of the 12/7 graft.  We've narrowed it down and it is when I am really tired and yawn.  I have to kind of massage my neck where my 12/7 scar is (kind of like you instintively rub your back when you get a liitle catch or crick).  It used to always happen after lunch when I was reading to my students -- when it happens, I can't talk clearly for a few minutes.  It was a real pain & hard to explain to the kids!  We realized that I was eating a turkey sandwich for lunch everyday and thought that it should be naptime then!!   :D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
I had the awful salty taste months after the surgery, but didn't have the frozen tongue feeling.

Only had headaches for about 3 weeks immediately post op.

How long did it take 4 to get the blink back?  was it 8 months?   I hadn't heard that about the 6 month rule,
remember many people start getting movement well past a year....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis