Author Topic: Support groups?  (Read 2187 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Support groups?
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:43:40 pm »
Are there any support groups around big cities? Could we start informal ones? Anyone know any near Wa. State?
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Support groups?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:51:04 pm »
I don't know for sure about AN support groups in the state of Washington but on the home page of the website there is a section for 'support groups' (left side of page).  Click on that and if you don't see a group listed for your state, click on 'contact us' (bottom of page) which will bring up a form allowing you to submit your name to lead or help organize an AN support group in your area/state. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OMG16

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:22:05 pm »
You can start an informal support group on your own.  There are 2 website that have lists of support groups one is the brain injury association of Washington site www.biawa.org and just follow the links for support.  These may not be relevant in your case but the patients do suffer from some of the same effects as AN patients.  The second site is the brain tumor society www.tbts.org and again just follow the links to support groups.  These are support groups for all types of brain tumors.  Let me know if you start a group as we just may attend since we are also from Washington.   :) 16
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:50:46 pm by OMG16 »
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:36:48 pm »
When I joined the ANA they just sent me a notice of the next support group meeting in my area- and I showed up. I “think� there was one person there from Vancouver – Washington State.

What part of Washington State are you located in? There are other AN’ers on this site in Washington State that I know of.

There was a get together in Tacoma last fall -that brought people together from Seattle and Portland.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!