Author Topic: Claim that exposure to loud noises may be a cause for AN?  (Read 2405 times)

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
Claim that exposure to loud noises may be a cause for AN?
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:48 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm curious if anyone knows the source to the claim that AN may be attributed from exposure to loud noises. I have read this claim in a few locations on the Internet, but I have yet to find any actual medical research to support this hypothesis. I spent 13 years in the military operating around aircraft that were very loud and shot a lot of weapons. This resulted in significant hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears. I'm curious to know if there is actual proof out there regarding this claim. my shooting side is on the right, and my AN is also on the right   ???

If anyone knows of any research that is being conducted on exposure to loud noises vs AN, I'd appreciate learning about this.

Thanks

Dave
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Claim that exposure to loud noises may be a cause for AN?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 03:45:10 pm »
Dave ~

I found this on the internet: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/163/4/327.full with a lot of related stories using this study as a basis for declaring that 'loud noises increase the risk of developing an acoustic neuroma'.

Admittedly, I'm not a doctor or scientist but I'm skeptical that sound waves, even strong ones, affect the Schwann cells and cause an over-production of the myelin sheath covering the acoustic nerve which is eventually manifested as a tumor - a vestibular schwannoma or, as we term it, an acoustic neuroma.  Of course it's possible and the study indicates a slightly increased risk of forming an acoustic neuroma if exposed to loud noises over a long period of time, as you indicate you were.  However, the report concludes that 'more study is necessary'.  This is a phrase that studies purporting to have found a tenuous link between cell phone use and developing an acoustic neuroma always conclude with, too.  I think it's code for "we really aren't sure". 

However, I would guess that your hearing loss and tinnitus can be far more easily attributed to your 13-year exposure to loud noise.     

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:43:08 am »
Dave,

While loud noise can most assuredly cause hearing loss, I don't think there is any correlation between loud noise and the eruption of Schwann cells. My doctors didn't think so either.

I am a musician that has been afflicted by an AN but this is only happenstance. People involved with loud music are no more likely to be afflicted with acoustic neuromas than the percentage of A.N. patients here on this message board likely to have been involved with loud music (very few, if any).

As far as cell phones are concerned. I have one but rarely, if ever, use it. I use my cell phone as much as I use my Triple A card—only for emergencies.

Hi Jim!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:55:23 am by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:00:34 pm »
I'm with Jim (skeptical).

I wasn't exposed to loud noises and I got an AN.

And I'm sure there are others on the Forum in my same boat.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways