Author Topic: Running and symptoms  (Read 2567 times)

DavidF

Running and symptoms
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:50 pm »

I'm almost 3 months post radiosurgery for AN.   I notice that symptoms flare up when I run.  In particular, the tinnitus becomes louder especially after stopping, and happens regularly.  The second symptom just happened recently with clicking sounds from that ear as I'm running.  It's almost as if the AN were bouncing around.  Could all the bouncing from running cause irritation to the AN? 
March 2011 - Sudden severe loss of hearing in right ear. 
April 2011 -  Diagnosed with 1.1cm x 0.7cm AN
June 2011 - CyberKnife procedure (3 doses) in South San Francisco Kaiser
January 2019 - AN has regressed in size by half

opp2

Re: Running and symptoms
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:13 am »
Hi David,

I believe it is the increase in blood pressure and heart rate that causes the symptom flare ups you are experiencing. I also suffered from increased symptoms before my surgery, while conducting any kind of work out, to the point where I was down to very light work outs in the two to three weeks prior.

I am 14 months post op (today!) and I now experience increased tinnitus when I run, and my left eye (surgery side) will tear a great deal when I work out or run. It does not 'cry' though or tear up for onions etc. The AN has a blood supply as do the nerves it is on and near. I had clicking, buzzing, moaning, whistling and whining on my left side for about 3 months after surgery.

Your AN may be more sensitive now that it has been treated. It could be swollen, which would restrict the blood flow to the nerves around it. It's a pretty tight space in there and your an is pressing on all kinds of nerves and vessels.

The caveat to all this is, I am not a doctor, but I have read a great deal on these forums, and have worked out for years. I have come to  believe in the correlation of the symptoms and the increase of bp and hr..

All the best in your recovery...

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »
I can't find anything officially documented anywhere, but its certainly been a theory that when you exercise your blood pressure increases (that part is a fact). A small AN squeezes nerves and restricts blood flow to the cochlear, and the nerves

The extra blood pressure allows extra blood to flow past the blockage caused by the AN in the Internal Auditory Canal
So when you exercise extra blood gets to the cochlear and the nerves, and as a result gives a "different sensation"
(Normally dizziness, tinnitus and balance issues) The excercise is good for you but can make you feel pretty lowsy.
Any change to these nerves good or bad, seems to cause symptoms.

I used to have this problem too for the first 9 months... I dont get the problems like I used to when I exercise anymore.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Barb909

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »
I am W & W with a small AN and walk a couple of miles every morning before work. I wake up with mild tinnitus, and after walking it is very loud and sometimes throbbing. It also gets worse when I chew. Chewing crunchy things is worse than chewing smooth foods, so I'm not sure if it is the noise or the actual movement of my jaws that irritates the AN and nerve. My ENT said that this is not unusual. It's unfortunate because I don't need another reason to consider not exercising!

Barb
Feb. 2010    4 x 8 x 5mm
June 2011   4.7 x 8.9 x 4.0mm
May 2012    4.5 x 9.1 x 3.9mm
Sept. 2013   5 x 10.1 x 5mm
Feb. 2015     6 x 13 x 5 mm
In IAC near cochlea
Mild hearing loss, tinnitus
W & W, thinking about treatment