Author Topic: Verapamil for Headaches  (Read 19801 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Verapamil for Headaches
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 04:12:24 pm »
Oh, I forgot to mention, I also take Topomax and Cymbalta for Myofacial Pain (a kind of fibrmyalgia) and that is not helping the headaches either.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 11:15:20 am »
No pain no gain I guess, but the pain is very quick and if you can get something for anxiety that might help...the first one for me was only bad because of the position they had me lay in.  It was horrible for the ol noggin, but the subsequent injections were tough because I knew what they felt like.  But like I said before the numb head was a great feeling, almost a reward for being subjected to needles.  You also have an excuse to sit on the couch and watch TV or what have you for the rest of the day  :)

I know Deb also gets the injections of Botox in the occipital region as well, that's another idea as I believe I read they are helping?

Many more options my dear...you will get relief...and make sure your Dr is working with you and not treating you like another headache as you have a much different case of symptoms than someone who just has a headache.

As always take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 03:53:37 pm »
Thanks, Friend.   I'm really having a bad week.   I'm taking the Verapamil and it's giving me big time constipation llke the website says it would and my neck and occipital area are really really tender.   I just had a massage and it hurts real badly with pins and needles.   I don't know whether to wait the month and go back and ask for the shots but by this time I won't be able to get another appointment with that doctor.   This skull neck and shoulder pain is really wearing me down.   I forgot to tell you that the doctor told me to switch to Aleve from Motrin;  he said it works better.   I feel like I have a lump the size of a tennis ball on the bottom of my right skull with pins and needles in it.   It's really got me down, down.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
Mei mei--have you been to a physical therapist for the neck and shoulder pain? Or tried a TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Neuro Stimulator) unit on it?  I got a TeNS unit for my back pain last year and I have been using it on my shoulder--I have a trigger point in my shoulder that flairs up when I have a headache and one in my neck, too.

The TENS unit has sticky pads that you slap on and connect to wires and the unit looks about the size of one of those old transistor radios.  My PT recommended it and my doc wrote a prescription for it and my insurance paid for it.

Having a bad day sucks, but having a bad week sucks more!  I feel for you.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 01:40:39 pm »
No I don't have a TENS Unit but I've heard of them.   Someone in my office had one on their belt.   I go to PT three times a week and accupuncture twice a week and take my father to PT three times a week.   It's like a circus around here and I run the taxi for my father and myself.   It's hard to keep up with the schedule when I come down in the morning as to who is going where that day.   One day the dog had to go to the Vet and that threw us all off.

I'll ask about the TENS Unit.   The pins and needles and the lump on the skull and neck are really annoying.   They just never go away.   I wonder when they will.   It's just not a life.   The doctor wants me to do Yoga and I just don't have the wherewithall to get up and do all those Yoga exercises.   To think I used to practice Yoga every day just a few years ago.   Life is so different now.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 05:58:43 pm »
Report on the headaches:   I haven't been having headaches at night all week long.   Maybe the Verapamil is working???

I sneezed today and a headache started but not instantly this time but a minute later and it was a bad one as usual so I had to take Alleve and lay down for an hour and it went away.

My last accupuncture treatment was on Monday and I 'm having another tomorrow.    PT massage was today and on Tuesday.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 06:13:40 am »
Well, I said that too soon.   I had a bad headache in the middle of the night last night and had to get up and take meds.   5 days is still a record for me for the past 6 months to go without headaches though.   It might be attributable to the bunch of nerves blocked up in the occipital area and the neck.   It was a really bad day for that and it was worked on by the PT.

Might be the cause of the headache.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 02:14:38 pm »
Mei mei,
I can't remember if you've ever had a nerve block.  My first one worked so well it was like a miracle--I actually went to the beach and went boogie boarding.  It takes the inflamation out of that occipital nerve.  I got mine at my local pain clinic.

Your headache pattern sound so much like mine it is almost scarey!  Do we have twin heads?  The good news is that you will get better over time.

Capt Deb

Mei Mei

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 07:52:11 am »
No, Deb,  I've never had a nerve block.   The neurologist said he would give it to me on my next follow up appointment if the Verapamil didn't help.   So far I'm not sure if it's helping the headaches.   I've been on the Verapamil since June 8th and now go five days without a headache which is a big change.   The only time I get a headache in between is when I sneeze which of course leads to an immediate killer headache.   I still have this lump in the surgery side of my neck and occipital area that is REAL TENDER and has the big LUMP and knot and pins and needles that Jim says take 9 months to a year to go away.   I'll have to stick it out.   

Had more accupuncture yesterday.  A laser treatment and massage.   It's nice, but the lump is still there.   It's frustrating.   My neurology appointment is on July 22 and will probably get the nerve block then.   Will it help the lump in the neck and occipital area and pins and needles?

Hugs and Hope,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 04:53:07 pm »
Dear ALL,

I forgot to mention that since I've been taking Verapamil I've been having trouble sleeping.  Last night I didn't sleep at all.    I got up out of bed this morning tatally frustrated and googled Verapamil and side effects again.  Nothing on insomnia.   Then I Did Verapamil and Insomnia and it came up...sure enough.   I don't know why it didn't show up in the Side Effects list.   I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow.   I tried taking the med. earlier today instead of at bedtime to see if it makes a difference and added Benedryl to help with the sleep.

Yes, Deb, It's a domino effect!

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 10:37:35 am »
Mei mei,
When you go to the neuro make sure you are getting a true occipital nerve block with Depo-Medrol and not just a trigger point injection--they are very different. My neurologist sent me to a pain clinic for the nerve block, which was done by an anesthesiologist.

Capt Deb

Mei Mei

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 04:57:13 pm »
My neurologist called me back about the Verapamil keeping me awake and I didn't have this email in front of me to ask him about the DepoMedrol when he said to schedule the injection in his office sooner than the July 22 visit since my neck and Occipital area were still having pain.   The headaches are gone except for when I sneeze.   He gave me some Ambien for sleep, but my experience with Ambien is that it gets me halfway through the night.   He told me to take the Verapamil in the morning from now on.

Your follow up injections don't help you and just your first one?   Now what?

My PT helps for an hour and then the pain comes back.   It's so frustrating.   I don't know how much more I can tolerate this, but I guess I have to in order to keep on living.

Take care and Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 06:32:15 pm »
My nerve blocks all helped, I just used up my quota for the year and began having Botox.  I had about 6 nerve blocks in a year and the doc said I needed a break before the cortisone started to do damage.  They are not a cure, just give you a relief from inflamation and allow the body to heal.

Capt Deb

Mei Mei

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 07:23:08 am »
Well, Deb,  How long do the nerve blocks last?   I'll give it a try.   scared as I am   

I had another headache last night for some reason.   They come every 5 days now instead of every day.

I'll have a friend come with me.

Take care,

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lizard

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »
Mine were also done by an anesthesiologist in a neruosurgery group...I think this is a very important point Deb is making...try not to worry too much its so quick.  They wouldn't let me drive home (mentioned this in one of your other posts) I guess its a liability thing...

Good news is I'm going off the indomethecin and going to Topamax soon!  Hopefully its not as hard on my body and works!!!!  They say I can take this and get pregnant...(still risk category C, but the benefits will outweigh the risks so Its worth it) feels like I've turned another corner!
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt