Author Topic: Wind protection - cheap and easy!  (Read 10568 times)

spgreenfield

Wind protection - cheap and easy!
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:27 am »
I saw other posts showing expensive sunglasses with extra wind protection built in, but I'm cheap.  What I came up with is using inexpensive swimming goggles bought locally for about $11,  here's the brand on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Racetech-Clear-Frame-Goggles-MS0008/dp/B0018V2SRS I could put the altered single eye cup INSIDE my glasses (or for those of you that don't wear glasses use sunglasses that fit tight and stay on) and then cover up how weird it looks by putting on my wrap around sun glasses.  I didn't need wind protection for my good eye....just my bad one.  I would post the photos if I knew HOW to get them here - basically you just snap off the tab that hold the nose piece and file it smooth and then remove the elastic head band and then place it between your eye and the glasses.   It makes my glasses sit a little farther out from my face than normal, but it's an old pair and fine for walking or playing golf.  Beware because the goggle could scratch your glasses inside....I suppose you could put a bead of silicone around the protruding edge of the goggle to make a bit of a cushion, but I didn't need it because I'll only use these old glasses with this goggle.  AND the goggle is deep enough it doesn't catch my eye lashes which you know can be annoying!

If someone wants to explain HOW I get photos inserted I can share them....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Wind protection - cheap and easy!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »
I'm going to defer to the expert moderator's on this forum for picture insertion instructions ...... but Pam's invention is awesome!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

spgreenfield

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »
OMGosh!  I feel like a NEW WOMAN!  Just got back from my first walk around 2 blocks...it's windy today (surprise surprise) and a great day to test them out!  It was almost normal feeling!!!  Didn't have to worry about my eye drying out - actually I had to "alter" them a bit - drill a couple holes in them so they didn't fog up, but not so many to let wind in either.  I think I can handle this!  I was able to look around - not down and away from the wind - my vision stayed clear and when I got home I probably didn't need any more drops but put them in anyway.  I'm stoked!  Golf and walking here I come!!!!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »
Thanks to Leapytwins I can do this!!!  Found the instructions under the forum personal messages looking for pictures....somehow this needs to be easier to find!!! Please moderators see if you can post the instructions?

Here are the photos:
  Showing the goggles - one altered and one original shape.

Now the lovely model wearing the goggles.   I'm throwing my vanity to the wind in order to get this out asap!  You will NEVER be sorry you tried it!!!!

To prevent fogging, all I did was drill a tiny hole in the top and the bottom of the widest part of the goggle....it's not hot here yet, so I may need more holes in the summer.  Will have to see what it brings.....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:34:06 pm »
Hi Pam: thanks for this. Question: does the goggle adhere to your skin to keep a tight fit??  I'm about ready to buy skiing goggles, but your idea is much less obvious!
Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

spgreenfield

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:32:50 pm »
Yes totally!  But the trick is to have something like sunglasses or glasses holding it against your face.  When I tried it on a walk it shifted a little.  Be sure to NOT touch the inside of the goggle as it has an anti-fog coating on it.  I'm glad you get 2 when you buy a pair - 'cause I messed one up and now it fogs.  You can drill those little holes in it to avoid too much fogging - but it's not summer here so I don't know what it will do in heat.  Do you wear glasses otherwise?  It's just such a nice tight fit since it's meant to keep water out of your eyes - wind is nothing compared to water!  I'm going to go and look at some point for a little lower profile goggle that might fit better behind glasses.  I would think you could even affix a goggle to a pair of glasses permanently (or semi permanent) with some fishing line and small holes to lace it through so when you took off the sunglasses the goggle would come off as well.  Go and look at Walgreens or Walmart for the kind of sunglasses that fit OVER glasses - they have a fuller protection on the sides and might fit the goggle as well.  I can't imagine your frustration of having to use ointment that often!   :o  Wonder if you could use a goggle like a pirate patch over the AN eye - without air holes - and cause a little "rainforest" effect inside to keep your eye moister than normal?  You could sure try it.  I'd bet you could even take a pair of glasses that didn't have lenses in them and brace and tie the goggle inside the frame to put on just to have protection (if you don't already wear glasses) and if you're using ointment anyway - your vision is mostly out of the good eye anyway so to remove the lense for the AN eye wouldn't be a big deal?  Just my brain thinking out loud here...........

Pam   :P
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:41:23 pm »
thanks for the info Pam. I do wear glasses. I tried putting a regular black eye patch into my glasses but it kept sliding.  I wear a moisture bubble everynight - you can't use them more than 12 hours at a time b/c it can cause an infection (all that moisture is a breeding ground). I'm glad to hear the goggle does adhere to your skin. The sunglasses I purchased (Rx too), has a really wide band on the sides, so air rarely gets through, unless it's really windy.  I do like the idea of using it with regular Rx glasses though.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

spgreenfield

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:58:48 am »
Depending on how far out your glasses sit on your face may decide IF you can use the goggle.  It causes my glasses to sit a little farther out but not horribly bad.  There is a chance of scratching the inside of your glasses on that side so I just used an old pair of glasses that I didn't care about.  I also adapted a couple pairs of sunglasses using the foam felt and glue - they work pretty well too, but I need to wear ointment if it's really windy.  Send me an email if you want to see images.  Hope I've helped.  Can't imagine being worse than I already am...it's SO annoying!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12