Author Topic: Enhanced Palpebral Spring Implanation  (Read 7337 times)

martyc

Enhanced Palpebral Spring Implanation
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »
Hi there,
Has anyone had this done?  It's in the ANA brochure and sounds like a better option than the implanted gold weight.  I have an external weight at this point.
Thanks!
Marty
Marty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Enhanced Palpebral Spring Implanation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:52:29 pm »
My surgeon talked with me about them. He said the springs have up to 25% failure rate. Also that there were very few surgeons he would be comfortable recommending.

I used an external weight for just a little while. I wish it had worked out as I would have liked to avoid a surgery, but the implant was a very easy procedure and I have been very happy with it.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:34:53 pm »
Hi Marty:  1 of my oculoplastic surgeons doesn't recommend them.  He found people had alot of problems with them & he's had to remove quite a few.  Like Sara said,  only a few are really good at putting it in, I guess it's a tricky process.  I think there's a Dr. Levy (??) in California who is well known to do these implants.  Maybe someone else remembers if I got the name right or not.
I have a platinum weight,  there is a platinum chain that lays really flat inside the eyelid.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

martyc

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:14:55 am »
Hi Nancy,
Is the platinum one different than the titanium weight?  I am scheduled next Friday, and my Dr. is giving me the choice of gold or titanium.  He doesn't notice a different post op, but I've heard titanium is slightly flatter.
Thanks for your responses!
Marty
Marty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:25:58 am »
Marty, are you sure that the doctor did not say gold or platinum? I have never heard of a titanium eyelid implant, although they may exist. My doctor only uses platinum because he has had to remove some gold ones due to allergic reactions.

At any rate, best wishes with your surgery. I'm so glad I had mine done.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

martyc

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:18:23 am »
Hi Sara,
We had a surgeon at our local ana meeting and he recommended titanium.  I wonder now if he meant platinum?  Hard to make these decisions for ourselves...but I keep thinking I get to ask for the best option as it's my eye. 
Thanks for your response.  I'll post after my surgery.  I'm nervous about being back in the OR and not being asleep.  I'm going to ask for extra sedation :)
Hope your Friday is a great one!
Marty
Marty

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:56:16 pm »
Hi Marty:  Answering you a bit late,  don't know when your surgery is,  but I don't think it's Titanium - the reason being Titanium is very lightweight & you'd need a really big weight put in.  Platinum has a heavier weight than gold,  so it's smaller. 
There's also a platinum chain which is the least visible, it's flatter.  I want to get the platinum chain if I need mine removed...
Hope all is well,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

gms

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »
I had this procedure done by Dr. Robert Levine in 2004. I did not have a good experience with my spring. I wish I would have waited longer after my surgery to see what my eye lid would have done on its own. I had a 2.5 cm AN removed by Dr. Brackman, was left with some facial weakness on my right side, basically had paralysis to my Rt. side. I could not close my eye, so it was recommeded to have the spring placed. I was also told that in time, I would regain some of my facial movement. A few months after my eyelid spring was placed, I started to regain movement to my face, first around the nose-mouth area. My eye started feeling different too. I was at a point, that I just wanted it out. (Also, during the spring placement, you have to be awake, it was pure hell to lay and go through this. After the procedure, my eye had a lot of swelling and bruising, which is common. ) I just did not have a good experience with the whole thing, from the procedure to the Physician. It didn't help that I lived many states away.
I had my spring removed one year later by an Oculoplastic Surgeon closer to home, and my blink was present after the spring was removed. My blink is slower than my other eye, but it's there and I can also close my eye when I sleep. I don't know what your situation is on your AN, but the spring was not for me. Very invasive surgery. I think I would have been fine just waiting to see what my eye would do on its own, with of course, taking extra good care of my eye so I wouldn't have any damage to the inner eye. I do have a "dry eye" but that's from the nerve damage from the AN. Also have a little facial weakness, can't smile completely.

srmccreary

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »
 Thought I would chime in about the spring. I had one put in when I had AN surgery in 2001. Overall it is great b/c my eye blinks and closes completely. I haven't had a gold weight but have talked to many people who have weights who aren't happy with the closure and others who are happy with it. Dr Robert Levine in LA is the expert on springs and has trained other surgeons in putting in springs but not sure where the trained surgeons practice. Unfortunately I have not had movement return in my face after radiation in Atlanta in 1999 and translab at House Ear in LA in 2001.

I've developed severe blepharospasms in both eyes and Dr Levine thinks I may have some movement in the paralysized lid. Won't know unless I have the spring out. I also have medpore in lower lid to help closure there.

martyc

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:36:29 pm »
Finally back on the forum....a couple of months later!  All went well with the Platinum weight...they called me the platinum lady in the pre-op room :)  Guess it's an upgrade from gold!  It is so much easier than the external weight and now I can wear makeup on both eyes. 
Thanks for all of your support!
Marty
Marty