Author Topic: Could this be AN  (Read 550 times)

Coriann

Could this be AN
« on: January 23, 2024, 11:10:17 pm »
Hello all! Looking for some feed back. I have been having tinnitus. I have been to the following doctors, urgent care, ENT, hospital and neurology. I had a hearing test which came back completely normal. I also had an dpoae test which was normal. Since there was no hearing loss the ent didn’t order anymore testing. I panicked and went to the hospital and demanded an mri. They didn’t give me one but gave me a cat scan with contrast. Nothing showed on the scan. They referred me to neurology. I met with the neurologist today who performed a simple neurological exam and looked at all my info from the passed doctors, ent and hospital cat scan, he said from seeing all of these things he didn’t feel an mri was medically necessary but he would do it to ease my mind. When he wrote the script he wrote “gait issue” so I asked why bc he didn’t say I had one. He said that it’s the only way for insurance companies will allow it. I said if it wasn’t medically necessary, I didn’t the scan and he said that was fine, that if it will ease my anxiety he will order it whenever I ask. He gave me some anxiety techniques and that was that. Should I just get the mri or would a clean ct scan and several clearances from doctors be enough for a diagnosis.

DanFouratt

Re: Could this be AN
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 05:35:30 pm »
Early when I was just figuring out what was wrong one of the audiologist simply said, "I will talk to you like a brother, your are safe and nothing to fear but if you can afford an MRI I would do it." I did and it showed my tumor.
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled

Coriann

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 07:15:56 pm »
Thanks for your reply. . It sparked panic in me tho. What were your symptoms? I am getting an mri on Tuesday morning and will have more answers hopefully.

DanFouratt

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 02:58:53 pm »
My systems was single sided hearing loss and tinnitus. I had no vertigo, tingling or anything else.  My hearing was at 70%. As the doctor said I was safe and no need to worry, however I took his advice.

The MRI confirmed I had an AN tumor.  Do not panic, these tumors are slow growing.  I went to the Watch and Wait status for over two years even after finding out. I had my MRI at about 8:30 am in the UNC system.  I had it sent to two doctors one in Duke and one in Cone Medical.  I received a call from each right at 11:00. News travels fast.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Prayers are with you.
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 04:25:50 pm »
Hi Coriann and welcome to the ANA Forums!

Tinnitus is a very common symptom for people, especially as we grow older.  The vast majority of those with tinnitus do NOT have acoustic neuromas.  Those who do have acoustic neuromas often have tinnitus, but you should not think because you have tinnitus that you have an acoustic neuroma.

Many people who have acoustic neuromas often have a combination of tinnitus and balance issues.  That is why insurance companies do not want to pay for an MRI if tinnitus is the only symptom.

Common symptoms for AN patients are: tinnitus with balance problems, with a loss of hearing, with facial issues, etc.  I don't want to say that tinnitus as the only symptom can never be a sign of an acoustic neuroma, but it would be rather rare.

So, the chances of you having an acoustic neuroma are extremely low.  So, please do not panic and worry.  Most of my friends have tinnitus, but I am the only one among us who has an AN.  Tinnitus without an acoustic neuroma can be a challenge, though.

I wish you the best with dealing with it!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.