Author Topic: Follow Up MRI  (Read 125 times)

v357139

Follow Up MRI
« on: April 19, 2024, 06:46:15 pm »
Hi all.  Passed my 13th year surgery anniversary a while back.  Wow has it really been 13 years already?   Dr Schwartz and Dr Slattery had left in just a bit of tumor to protect the facial nerve.   Just got results of my most recent follow up MRI.  No sign of regrowth.  No sign of tumor at all!!!  Man how I stressed on this pre-surgery.  I was a wreck, and that is not an exageration.  It is probably an understatement.

For all those who are stressing.  I know how you feel.  You will get through this.  I was worse than you.  If I did it, you can too.

Anyone stressing feel free to email me.  I'd be glad to listen.  I also did a boat load of research and would be glad to share.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

DZ

Re: Follow Up MRI
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 11:31:30 am »
That is wonderful!  Congratulations!!!   Glad to hear after 13 years!!  Lucky 13!!  I am only about two years post op (8/18/2022 Friedman/Schwartz UCSD) and a remnant was also left to protect the facial nerve.  I was back doing routine things almost immediately post op! I feel very lucky. I would love to see any references/papers that have been published about regrowth that you have /recommend.  How can I get?   thanks! Donna
Significant Left-sided hearing loss & some tinnitus, Size of tumor was 2.1cmX1.9cmX1.5cm. Translabyrinthine surgical resection on 8/18/22 at UCSD. Thin remanent left on facial nerve. Post op -No left hearing, bilateral tinnitus, no significant balance issues, recovering.

v357139

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 07:25:41 pm »
Hi Donna.  Schwartz is the best isn't he?  I almost went with him and Friedman until Friedman left House.  They were both very generous with their time.  I'll take a look in my records, not sure I have much on regrowth.  You might try simply googling Acoustic Neuroma Regrowth.  Sites like Medline and NCBI are very accessible.

Here's one I found quickly:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899411/

As I recall, the term near-total resection may not always be that well defined, as opposed to gross or total resection.  Glad to discuss further if you like.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

DZ

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 01:09:33 pm »
Hi Hero-  Thanks so much!  Will search! And yes, although I cant really compare, my own personal experience interviewing 4 centers (i was a former health care professional), extensive searches in the scientific literature and comments from others drove me to the UCSD team (which was 11 yrs after your procedure!- there was no ucsd).  Donna
Significant Left-sided hearing loss & some tinnitus, Size of tumor was 2.1cmX1.9cmX1.5cm. Translabyrinthine surgical resection on 8/18/22 at UCSD. Thin remanent left on facial nerve. Post op -No left hearing, bilateral tinnitus, no significant balance issues, recovering.