Author Topic: NHS waiting lists and costs of private MRI (in UK)  (Read 25440 times)

Karenk

Re: NHS waiting lists and costs of private MRI (in UK)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 01:56:15 pm »
Hope I can help. I had a private MRI (N. Ireland). It cost £400 (private insurance). I think the 2 bits might refer to 1. IAC and 2. Whole brain. That's what I had. My GP referred me to an ENT, who then ordered the MRI. I had a 4 week wait for results, partly due to scheduling problems & I was seeing the ENT privately! Not fun. Also, I didn't know this, but being private doesn't put you any more in charge, you're still doing things their way. You just get seen earlier, probably in nicer surroundings. I didn't have contrast, because that's just not the way they seem to do things here. Contrast only if they see a need for it at the time of the scan. That may not always be the case though! My scan was clear, fingers crossed for you.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:05:04 pm »
They said that they thought it would be a two part test, but that they'd only know for sure once they had the referral from my doctor.  So I'm prepared for the worst - if it's only the one part I need then hubby can have his chainsaw too  ;D

I've contacted the doctor and given him the details, so fingers crossed.  He seems very on the ball, it was he who rescued me from the vertigo (with prochlorperazine) so he's seen me at my worst and at least knows I'm not making a fuss about nothing.  Just have to determine exactly what it is that I'm making a fuss about!

Do you have any idea yet what your problem might be if it's not an AN?

Karenk

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
Just been called tinnitus. I have unilateral tinnitus & hearing loss. No more investigations at this time. I've been referred to a hearing therapist on Nhs. No sign of an appt though. I saw from another post of yours that we're the same age. Surely too young for hearing loss! I didn't follow your youtube hearing loss link, but not sure you should put too much weight on it. You've probably got enough stress right now, try not to do too much advance worrying.
Karenk

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:33 am »
I hope they get to the bottom of it for you and can offer some relief.  Glad it's not an AN though  :)

Don't worry, I don't set much store by the do-it-yourself hearing test  ;)  I know my hearing is poor in my right ear (I discovered that quite early on because that used to be the ear I used for the telephone).  I just thought it was peculiar that I was listening with my right ear and heard the sound in my left!  Probably just imagining it  8)

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 09:05:12 am »
Just a quick update.  I did contact my doctor's surgery and ask for a private referral, but they called me back the next day to say that they'd contacted the hospital and expedited my MRI and that I should hear something in the next week  :)  It will still be four or five weeks, but anything's better than 17!

Alison

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:48 am »
Hi nn,

great news that your doc has speeded up the MRI and that the chain saw budget will remain intact, ha ha. Hope you get a good result.

Alison x
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 05:49:39 am »
Wow, it's amazing what suggesting a private referral will do!  I have my NHS appointment through for 24th February, thank goodness - I will report back.  Please keep your fingers crossed for me xx