Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 35553 times)

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2008, 05:38:51 am »
Jan, You Tube called. They want to know the time of the run and where it will take place.  ;D ;D ;D
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2008, 06:25:23 am »
Bucko -

love your sense of humor  ;D

Wait, you ARE kidding, aren't you??  :o

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2008, 09:55:09 am »
K - 22 piercings in one ear?  You must have very large ears!   :D

Jan, I'll be watching the news for any seemingly drunk naked woman with fishing line attached to her 3 earrings running through your area.   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2008, 10:13:56 am »
THAT would probably make the NATIONAL news...   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2008, 10:28:03 am »
Well, I HAVE been accused by some of wanting to show off my BAHA  :D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2008, 10:33:10 am »
I have a funny feeling no one will even notice your BAHA.   ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:47 am »
Jan,

I was just kidding....or was I ?  ::) ??? ::)

In eleven days, I can be an exihibitionist just like Jan. Not the nude stuff like Jan does but just a big Baha show off!  :D
Jan, you'll live down the tatt but not the running naked comment.  ;D :o ;D

Like Lori said, if you run naked, I can guarantee NO ONE will notice the Baha!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:03:35 am by sabuck »
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2008, 05:42:55 pm »
I knew where to tune in for a laugh today  :D  You guys just crack me up  ;D

Bucko -

any big plans for your big Baha day?  Although I'm an accountant, I'm too lazy to do the math, so help me out here.  Will you have it by the 4th of July?  In time to hear the fireworks?

I know that Linda (catflower) is due to get her processor on the 3rd.

My biggest advice is  - revel in the moment.  Find a nice, quiet spot and just sit there for a while.  After I left my doc's office, I stopped to sit in a little outdoor grotto between his office building and the hospital.  It was very peaceful there and I could hear the birds chirping, the water running in a little pool that was there, airplanes, etc.  It was so cool, just listening to things I haven't really heard for a little more than a year.  It also sounds a little silly, but I'm really enjoying the sound of the wind these days when I drive in the car with my window down.  The BAHA is just amazing to me  :)

You'll have to let us know what you think of your processor.

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2008, 05:17:53 am »
Jan -
I just read this post and although it has not been that long since my hearing has gotten to the point that it has, I completely understand what you said.  I already miss the little things, like having my cat sit on my lap and hearing the motorboat sound of his purr.  I can hear him with my left ear, but not as loudly.  It's a constant struggle when I'm in a noisy situation to hear what I want ot hear, and when I go out to eat, between the noise in the restaurant and trying to make sure I'm seated to my best advantage to hear everyone at the table, it can be frustrating.  Just talking to someone who is not opposite me or on my "good" side makes everything harder.  I'm glad for you that you got your BAHA.  It  must have been a tough year.  On the brihgt side for me, there is a bird couple who make their home in the eaves of our roof every year right outside my bedroom window.  They have been waking me up at about 3:30 - 4:00 almost every morning in the late spring and summer for the last few years.  This year, althjough I know they're there because I've seen the nest,  I can't hear them.  No early wake-up calls!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2008, 07:34:20 am »
Wendy -

SSD did make me miss all the "small" sounds of life - at least with my "bad" ear, but as you say, there can be advantages to not hearing.  When I want a really good night's sleep, I put my good ear to the pillow and usually sleep like a baby.

SSD is also good for helping you ignore things you don't want to hear - kids asking for money, etc.   :D

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2008, 07:30:12 am »
Buck,
I enjoyed the story about the female server -- very funny story!  I could see where she would have been a little shocked -- it's not every day you see something like that!  I thought those were aviatgion headphones in your picture.  I took flying lessons and got my license, but did not keep up with it.  It just got too expensive -- someitmes I really miss it.  When you really need to escape there's nothing like flying. 

Lori - How's your head?  I didn't know about your infection, are you better?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2008, 07:39:42 am »
Great question, Wendy.

Lori how IS your head?  Haven't asked in a few days myself  :)

Jan

lori67

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2008, 07:07:51 pm »
My head is as good as new. Well, it's as good as it was after I had a piece of it removed and a few screws put in it!   :D

The doctor thinks the skin just started to grow a bit on the edge of the abuttment and since it was "new" skin, a little scratch might have gotten infected or something.  He didn't seem too surprised - he said it happens.  I took a 7 day course of Augmentin and used the steroid cream and it cleared up in a few days.  I actually think it was because I had just come back from flying up to NJ when my Dad died and I didn't pack my abuttment toothbrush.  Using that every couple of days really seems to keep things in check, but I didn't have it so I think that's when the skin started to invade!  Now I know - don't leave home without 2 toothbrushes - one for my teeth and one for my head!  I'd rather not get cavities in either!   :D

Thanks for asking!   :-*

Lori

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2008, 09:43:38 pm »
 I wanted to get a better idea of the size of the BAHA as reflected in the palm of your hand...so I held up my hand and tried to mark the size of it on my hand with a felt pen...so I now have a little square on my hand... and I want you to know it's the size of four M&M candies...I literally checked this out...how close am I?

M&Ms are on sale at Target by the way.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:24 pm »
Thanks for the M&M tip  ;)  I'm a chocoholic with the best of them  ;D

I'm visualizing the 4 M&M's and I think you are correct - that is about the size of the processor.
Can anyone else verify this?  Lori? Catflower? Bucko?

When I was given my processor, I was very pleasantly surprised that it's so tiny - I had pictured it larger.

Jan