Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 35550 times)

Kaybo

Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2008, 04:26:37 pm »
Thanks - I was pretty proud of it.  I did it all myself and even came up with the name (which I LOVE) - usually my sweet hubby is the creative one!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
Lori -

very amusing story - and bonus points to your doc for having such a great sense of humor; sounds like my kind of man  ;)

Buck -

son in the peach corps and a safari in Uganda - very cool  8)  The flying thing isn't too dull either  :D  As I mentioned in previous threads, one of my brothers is a taxidermist.  Along other things he's been on safari in Africa.  My other brother is known as the family dare-devil and we all accuse him of having a death wish (Lori tells me he may actually fulfill this wish by driving in Jersey  :o )  Anyway, with the exception of my rebellious tattoo-moment, my two sisters and I are the dull, boring family members  ::)

K's site is very amazing - I don't think I could do anything that creative. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2008, 10:24:12 pm »
Buck,

You do realize that you will soon be known as Bucko?  ;D

Since you want it to be fair, I will tell you something about me that no one else here knows. Back in the previous century, I was in the Peace Corp in Kenya (it's just east of Uganda). Nice people, lousy government, glad I was not there during the last "election". Now I am a software developer.

Oh wait, now every body knows.  :-[

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2008, 10:36:22 pm »
Jim Scott, not really Jim Scott  :o  Steve a previous member of the Peace Corps  :o

I learn something new here every day.  Wonder who will reveal something shocking tomorrow  ??? ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2008, 06:01:25 am »
K, How did you design your site? Did you use PHP? I'd say that yout hubby is NOT the only creative one in the fam.  ;) Thanks for being a teacher!

Steve, Bucko has a nice ring. Plus I have been referred to as many variations and some not so nice.  ;D Only special people can be inducted into the Peace Corps and even more special to undertake such a journey in helping their fellow mank. By observing my son, I'm sure it added tremendously to your personal growth. You are right about the people in that region. Ugandans and Kenyans are fabulous folks! You are tops in my book Steve-O!  8) ;D  8)

Jan, You my dear are the wild-woman getting a tatoo!  :o My life is pretty dull. That one big trip to Uganda was a huge deal for this country "bucko". As far as my flying goes, I am super safe and abide by the rules. So YOU are the only maverick here little missy!  :-*

Lori & Jan....yeah, yeah, yeah....you gals GLOW!  ;D

Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2008, 06:54:17 am »
I've never been called a maverick before - am wondering if I should neigh or something  :D

Seriously, Bucko, the tattoo was probably the wildest thing I've ever done - and quite possibly the bravest outside of AN and BAHA surgery  ;)
And the braveness wasn't related to pain - it was very tiny - it was related to just walking into the place.

My next brave act will be telling my parents about the tattoo  :o  Although I am well past the age of consent, I think they are both going to frown upon this one.
Then again, I might just let my 12 year old daughter tell them; she's dying to  :D

Jan
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:58:17 am by leapyrtwins »

Kaybo

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2008, 07:35:31 am »
Jan~
So the kids know now...how did you tell them??  I want to hear about telling the parents!  My SIL who lives in LA has a couple - the one that is visible is a dove for each of her (4) children on the inside of her wrist and is very "tastefully" done.  Apparently at New Year's (our family was the only one not in Houston), they all went out to eat & the waitress was commenting on what a large family (19 without us) they had.  My FIL said he was so proud and not a tatto or piercing (besides ears) among the lot!  Shari was like, "Hello, what about me?"  All those teenagers/colllege kids and none and she has them.  She went home after that & got a tiny piercing in her nose for her 40th b-day!  I must say, I was more shocked by the news of your tattoo than the Jim Scott OR Steve news put together!!!!   ;D

Buck~
What is PHP?  I told you I know nothing about all this stuff!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2008, 09:58:45 am »
Wow - trips to Uganda, Kenya, flying, jungles, nose piercings.... I need to get out more.

Buck, how 'bout you fly me to some remote tropical island and leave me there for a while?   ;D  I could use a vacation.

Jan, my mother found out about my tattoo when I was about 36 years old.  She refuses to acknowledge it because she hates tattoos.  My dad thought it was funny and wanted to go get one too since he said he missed his chance when he was in the Navy.  Mom wouldn't let him. 

Lori (also rebellious at times)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2008, 05:57:50 pm »
Yes, I did break the tattoo news to the kiddies the other day - mainly because my darling daughter issued a challenge and I just couldn't let it go.  I thought I'd introduce it slowly, so because I've mentioned in the past that I might get one, I decided to start a discussion with her about "possibly" getting one. 

My daughter made the statement that I'd "never" get one because I'd be too afraid of the pain.  Well, that did it!  I pulled up my sleeve just to watch her mouth drop open  :D  She thought it was fake at first, but once I convinced her it wasn't she promptly told me I was "too old" for a tattoo.  Then she picked up her cell phone and called her brother who was swimming at a friend's house because she realized she was privy to something that he didn't know  ;) 

My son didn't answer his phone, so when he came home I quickly grabbed him and told him before his sister got her chance.  Mainly because my kids live for competing with each other and I'm often accused of favoritism by one or the other  ::)  My son though it was fake at first also.

None of my family members - my parents included - know about it yet; but I'm sure they will in time.

My daughter thinks that my mother in particular will have a huge problem with me having a tattoo and is very anxious to see her reaction.  But as I told my daughter, I am an adult and I can pretty much do what I want to.  I told her that in fact, I could run down the street naked if I wanted to and wouldn't have to consult with my mother before doing so.  Probably not a great example.  My daughter called my father and although she wasn't brave enough to tell him about the tattoo, reported "mom ran down the street naked today!"  I think I've created a monster LOL

K - I didn't realize my tattoo would shock you.  I guess I probably shouldn't tell you that I have 3 piercings in each ear, then  ::)  I have to explain, though, that I got the third piercing when I was a sophomore in college back in 1981 - so it's not part of the "running rampant piercing everything fad"  It was during that period of time when lots of women had two piercings in each ear and for some reason I just decided to go with three.  All three are in a row on my ear lobe - nothing running all the way up my ear like some people you see.

Just for the record, I would never get my nose, navel, eyebrow, lip, etc. pierced  - so if you can live through this relevation, K, there will be no more shocking news from me  ;D

Maybe I should retitle this thread "True Confessions"

Jan

lori67

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »
Well, Jan, you could run down the road naked if you want - perhaps that might be the incentive you need to keep running - really fast!   :D

I too, went through the 80's multiple ear piercings, but now I'm too lazy to put that many earrings in, so I'm sure a few have closed up since.  I don't plan on having anything else pierced - I truly believe they call them earrings for a reason!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

oHIo

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2008, 06:49:56 pm »
If Jan runs down the street naked, what will she attach her emergency BAHA fishing line to ???

lori67

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2008, 06:51:52 pm »
One of the 6 earrings in her ears???   ;D

Kaybo

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2008, 07:59:49 pm »
Jan~
Whew!  I'm glad there will be no more shocking revelations!!  I have 2 (I accidentally typed 22 - that would be a shocker!) holes in each ear - that 80's thing, but like Lori - I don't put anything in them.  I never even change the 1st hole - just diamond studs (& Dave) for me!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
Excellent point, oHIo  :D  And excellent response, Lori  :D

Glad to know I'm not the only "victim" of the 80's double pierced ears fiasco - although I took it one piercing past that  ::)

I generally wear 3 pairs of earrings at a time, because I have "sets" of progressively smaller studs that match - no diamonds  :(  but I do have 3 pairs of pearls, 3 pairs of blue sapphires, etc. 

K - if you wouldn't have changed that 22 to 2, you would have shocked me  :o

oHIo

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2008, 10:45:49 pm »
Jan...I was just concerned you might lose your BAHA or even consider *gasp* piercing something else that would allow you to attach the sacred fishing line.   ;) 

Now that Lori has reassured me your BAHA is safe, you may carry on with your run.  :)