Author Topic: Vertigo 7 years after surgery?  (Read 2944 times)

Cynaburst

Vertigo 7 years after surgery?
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:36:43 pm »
I am about 7.5 years post retrosigmoid surgery for a 3+ cm. AN with hydrocephalus.  I have a VP shunt and I had a total resection of the tumor and besides the deafness on my right side, I had all but forgotten about my AN experience (well, I had managed to supress it anyway!) but in the last few weeks, I have been experiencing a mild vertigo like dizzy off balance sensation that comes and goes.  Sometimes I feel alright, and sometimes I feel out of sorts.  I am terrified that this means that my AN is regrowing since this sensation just popped up out of nowhere after so many years.  I did have some vertigo before I was diagnosed, but I have been perfectly fine for years.

Any thoughts? I last had a scan 3.5 years ago after having had several years of clean scans.  I also have a heart problem and have an implantable defibrillator/pacemaker as well, so I can't have MRI scans....only CTs.  I have a call in to my neurosurgeon.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Vertigo 7 years after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:04:51 pm »
Cynthia ~

The return of vertigo/dizziness is certainly troubling but could be caused by something other than a re-growth, such as low blood pressure, a reaction to medications, etc .  This is a situation best handled by your physician, who is familiar with your medical history and has the training to diagnose properly.  He (or she) will likely order a 'fresh' CT scan.  I trust that the vertigo & dizziness are not connected to AN re-growth.  Please let us know when you have some answers.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cynaburst

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »
Jim.  I hope you are right.  I have to say, though, I have had dizziness/lightheadedness from heart issues lots of times, but it doesn't feel like this.  When you have as many things wrong with you as me, it is hard to sort these things out but I am fairly sure that this sensation is inner ear related.  Well, I guess I will get a CT scan done in short order and will go from there.

Thanks for your support.  Keep your fingers crossed.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:00:29 pm »
Cynaburst,

I'm crossing my fingers for you that this sudden onset has a simple solution.  Keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Cynaburst

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:07 pm »
Just updating....had a CT scan today and all was fine according to neurosurgeon.  If I still have vertigo symptoms in another month he wants me to see Dr. Friedman of House Clinic to do further ear evaluation, but it seems to be nothing life threatening....only annoying, so that is great news.  The symptoms themselves are a bit disconcerting, but now that I know there is no tumor, I can deal with them.